Sunday, February 11, 2007

Just another Gym Rat

I’m quickly become a Gym Rat. I walk in through the front door, check in, go up the stairs to the find my favorite elliptical machine, crank up my MP3 player and get the machine moving. Not really much to report. The gym wasn’t crowed at 4PM on a Sunday afternoon. At least the constant Anna Nicole news is dying down and the TVs that line the wall above the elliptical machines had images other than bleached blond hair and silicon enhance breasts (not that I have anything against either … but I’m just looking for a little moderation)

I keep my HR under 130 BPM for the first 30 minutes and then let it rip. As the steepness increased, I increase my cadence from a nice and steady 60-65 RPM up 110-120 RPM. I actually got my HR all the way up to 174 over the next 15 minutes. I finally back off at 45 minutes and let it fall back down to the mid 130s. I haven’t been able to get my HR over 174 since I started paying attention to it last year, so I think this is pretty close to my HRmax. At least it’s higher than the standard 200-AGE formula folks like to use. Don’t know why that makes me feel better. It’s just genetics and it isn’t as if anything I’ve done is impacting it

There was no residual pain or soreness after this work out, but when I massage the calf I can still feel the soreness deep in the calf. It isn’t painful; it just isn’t ready to take the strain of running. Maybe next weekend.

Have a great week.

14 comments:

Ewen said...

Next weekend sounds likely Phil. I hope you have a good week.

Max HRs are so variable. It's good to know what it is though. I'd say yours is a bit higher than that. If you 'sprinted' at the end of intervals you'd get a bit higher. Perhaps you could use 176 or 178 as a maximum to calculate zones for other training.

Deene said...

sounds like you're fitting right in at the gym with with your mp3 player and all. glad you're injury is getting better.

Amy said...

I too am sick of the Anna Nicole drama. When I came into work this morning I had about a million email news alerts letting me know of the situation...more than when Saddam was found, more than when Ford died, more than I can remember getting for one event....sad.

Chad in the Arizona Desert said...

Good job on the eliptical, Phil. I hope you are back running next week.

I agree with Amy about the Anna Nicole circus. It reminds me of when Mother Terisa and Princess Diana died on the same weekend and Diana got all of the press and nobody said anything about Mother Terisa. I guess that's why the highest rated tv show is American Karaoke.

Adama Anderson said...

Hey Phil,
Thanks for the comment, I had a major improvement on my 10K time. I agree that Anna Nicole stuff is really ridiculous, it needs to be off the air finally, I just tend to turn off the news at work.

Glad to hear you are back to exercising, sounds like you are healing slowly, but it's good news when you are working the eliptical.

J~Mom said...

Your patience will pay off in the long run. Hang in there!

olga said...

Glad you're surviving gym workouts ok. It's a big help to not hate those on the road to recovery:)

DawnB said...

Thanks for the emails. sorry my response had so many errors on monday. I should have known better than trying to blog first thing in the morning. Hoping to have a better week.

D said...

I just read your "weird" post - funny stuff. Isn't it amazing how much riskier we were when we were younger. Sad about your friend. Glad that your calf is feeling better. I can't believe you can keep your HR under 130 while working out. THe only time I do this is when I'm walking..

Subhasish Bhattacharya said...

If you're not already doing so - you could put in some reverse elliptical time as well. It's good for the quads aka hill running. I normally alternate between 5 min normal and 5 min reverse.

Really? The Anna Nicole news shows no sign of dying down. Even on CNN!

miss petite america said...

thanks for stopping by.

i am always amazed by people who can monitor their heart rate. it's hard enough for me to keep the number of miles i'm supposed to run in my head!

Bex said...

Thanks for your comment on my blogeroo. Yep, doing fine, just busy and making some life changes. Of which I will report on soon. Methinks I should get a HR monitor based on your post above. Sounds really useful!

J~Mom said...

Thank you so much for that wealth of information!!!!!!! I am excited to try some of those places you listed. I know the hills in Tucson are going to be tough!

Also, it's not until the second mile that things get better so you are right about what you said. I often feel that it's not being fit enough though and not that fact that everyone has to warm up. Interesting indeed.

I told you that you need to be Coach Phil. :>)

carmen said...

gym rats unite around the world!!!

i'm with you. i'm a gym rat. as soon as the weather warms up here...gym rat no longer!