Thursday, February 22, 2007

Summer Simulation

I realize that I said, in a previous post, that I should be able to get in a couple of good runs while I in Redmond this week. Well, I lied. I got cheap and stayed at the Sliver Cloud. It's a perfectly nice hotel and $50/night less than the Marriott I haunt. However, it isn’t as close to the great running trails as the Marriott. I also hitched a ride with one of my colleagues, so I’m without a car. This puts the Sammamish River trail totally out of reach. Plus, my ride was scheduled to pick me up at 6:15 this morning and it was raining this morning, and it was cold, and my dog ate my homework, and …

Anyway, I rolled out of bed at 5:00 AM and got in a 30 minute run on the tread-mill. I had planned on running outside so I only brought my cold weather tops. I so planned to run outside that I even brought two pair of running shoes with me; my new pair to wear if the weather was nice and the next in line if the weather was crappy. But instead I found myself in a poorly ventilated exercise room in the basement of the hotel. After 5 minutes on the treadmill, I was already sweating like the proverbial pig in my long sleeve technical shirt, so I just stripped the thing off ...

This wasn’t a pretty sight. Fortunately at 5AM, I was one of the few people awake in the hotel and certainly the only one nutty enough to be in the exercise room at this hour. Thankfully, no one joined me. I had the tread mill set on a “hill” course so the elevation went up and down for 30 minutes. After the first 5 minutes I increased the pace to 9/mi and just left it there through the “hills”. My HR responded about as you’d expect and by the time I had completed 15 minutes, it was rising to 155 on the “hill” and only settling back down to 150 on the flats. Y’all keep telling me this will get better … OK … I still believe you, but when?

If you get a chance … go wish my buddy Mike good luck. He is running in a 5K in Tucson this weekend and has a great chance of winning the race. He just keeps getting faster. I'll be 10 miles outside of the tiny town of Benson Arizona this weekend and will have no internet coverage, so I won't be posting again until Sunday night or Monday morning. Therefore, I'll wish you all a great weekend tonight.

10 comments:

Mike said...

Thanks for the good vibes, Phil. You should be at least as optimistic about your own running. If you're in a hot, stuffy room while on the treadmill, your post title is quite appropriate. The heart is working harder to not only circulate blood through the muscles and organs, but it's having to divert some towards the skin to try to cool you down. I think Pfitz and and the physiology crowd call it "cardiac drift." I think once you settle back into a routine again at ho me the heart rate will come down. Maybe you'll just have to ignore it for awhile. Remember your first build and trust your training, the body will come around

Sempre Libera said...

Those hotel exercise rooms are really awful. Being outside is one of the best things about running - hope you're able to hit the trails soon!

Anne said...

I thought I was the only one who packed two shoes when heading to potentially wet running areas... And I always bring gymn AND outside clothes just in case I too am forced to use some poorly ventilated hotel exercise room. Why must they always be so darn warm?!

StumbleGuy said...

In my hotel in Wembley a couple of weeks ago, the gym air con just blew warm damp air. Yuck. Plus they have those big mirrors. Yuck yuck. Have a good weekend away.

Andy

Yvonne said...

nice dreadmill work!

my dog DID actually eat my homework once when i was a kid. i couldn't understand why my teacher was laughing so hard...

Josh said...

I have gone on weekend trips and my running bag has more clothes and gear then my regular bad... Gotta be prepared.

Enjoy the weekend!

stephruns said...

too bad you can't check out the trail. hope you have a great weeken anyways!

Ewen said...

Sounds like a good session anyway Phil. Perfect acclimatisation for Canberra's current unusual humidity.

Loved the 'my dog ate my homework'. Even the kids from my group haven't used that one yet!

Feminist Runner said...

I had the hill workout on the hotel treadmill yesterday -- quite a fun time! Especially when the heat went on.

Chad in the Arizona Desert said...

Great job with the run, Phil. Nothing like a little "hot weather" training in February.