Saturday, March 24, 2007

California Dreaming

This will be another short message. I survived the drive across the desert from Phoenix, Arizona to Ontario, California without incident. Traffic was moving pretty good the whole way and I made the trip 360 mile trip in just over 5 hours (Speed limit? What speed limit?). I managed to get a decent dinner at one of the local chain restaurants that litter our towns now. I'm not a big fan of the chain places, but it was within walking distance and I didn’t feel like doing any more traveling. Besides, the place let me order sides of vegetables along with a seared salmon appitizer. Just goes to show that you can eat low fat at these places if you're willing to be a bit creative. That and 2 22oz beers made a most pleasent dinner.

I had to get up at 5:30AM this morning in order to get to the soccer complex in time to check in the team for the tournament and there was no way I was going to get up any earlier to get in my 5 miler this morning. We only had two games today and the second one was early enough in the afternoon to allow me time to run 5 miles on a treadmill at the hotel before dinner. My wife even volunteered to use the eliptical while I ran (that was a first)

I know I’ve said this before, but, I don’t understand how some of you put in so many miles on a treadmill. 5 miles was pure agony this afternoon. I watched a soccer game on the TV above the machine and listened to tunes on my MP3 player, but I just couldn't wait for each mile to click by. Sweat started pouring off my head before I’d completed the first mile and my HR shot up over 150 before I’d completed the 2nd mile. I know some of this has to do with dehydration, but earlier this week, I was cruising along the Sammamish River at 8:05/mi with my HR at 151 and this afternoon I was sweating like a ‘70s style Richard Simmons video running a “hill” course at 9:10/mi at the same HR. It wasn’t the best run I’ve ever had, but I got it done.

That only leaves a 14 miler for Sunday morning. I should be able to do it. Our first game on Sunday is at 10:30AM, which should leave me plenty of time to run 14 miles, have breakfast, take a shower, load up the car and drive to the fields in time for the girls to warm up before the game. We’ll see how well that works.

Training for the week:

MON: Rest Day
TUE: 8.0 Miles with 4 miles @ 7:52/mi; HR - 141
WED: 4.1 Miles, Recovery, 9:22/mi; HR - 136
THR: Travel Day
FRI: 10.2 Miles, Medium Long; 9:11/mi; HR - 147
SAT: 5.0 Miles, Recovery; 9:12/mi; HR - 147

Tournament news:

The tournament isn’t going that well. We’re playing up a year so most of the girls on the opposing teams are 16; however, that isn’t a good excuse for losing two games today (0-1 and 1-2). We controlled the ball well, but we just couldn’t get the ball in the goal. With two loses already, we’ll play our final game in our bracket on Sunday morning and then play a consolation game against a team from another bracket in the afternoon. We do have a lot of girls sick or hurt. Our starting center back is out for the season with an ACL tear, one of our starting mid-fielders (and back up keeper) is out for another month with a less severe knee injury and our best forward is out with mono; however, we just aren’t playing with the intensity we need to play with in order to win. I’m sure they’ll play better on Sunday.

I do have a couple of pictures however:



This is my daughter stripping the ball in the first game.



My daughter again moving to the ball in mid-field in the 2nd game.

7 comments:

Ewen said...

Phil, you should head out for a run to those enticing mountains in the background of that bottom photo... a nice downhill finish for the second half of your 14 miler :)

Darrell said...

You're in Ontario, that's only about 20 miles from me. Where are the soccer fields?

I'll be interested to hear where you put in your 14 miler. Next time you find yourself here maybe we can work something out.

Good luck to the girls.

aggie jogger '77 said...

Good luck with the soccer and the 14 miler. The HR's that you list with your runs, is that an average? My Polar watch is telling me that I'm averaging about the same, low to mid 140's most of the time, unless I kick up a late run pace to finish in a hurry....Randy

aggie jogger '77 said...

PS....thanks for the tips on blogging, they will come in handy once I figure out how to make them work....Randy

miss petite america said...

i will never again complain about not having time to run...

StumbleGuy said...

Hope your 14 miles went well this morning. Sorry the team is not doing too well. Looking forward to the rest of the results ...

Andy

Dusty said...

Hope you had a nice 14 miler. Good luck to the girls - hope they turn things around and win their next games!!