Sunday, March 11, 2007

Early morning bliss

I finally got in a real run this morning, completing 13.1 miles in 2:03. Leaving the house 4:50AM, well before sun-up I headed back over to my new favorite area to run in the northern part of Phoenix; around Lookout Mountain. After spending the first couple of miles on the flats, I ran up to the water tower on the north side of the hill to get the blood moving and then started a clock-wise rotation on the roads around the hill. As you can imagine, this course just rolls mile after mile with no single climb over 100’. Although there is only one steep hill (>10% grade) on the course, the hills keep coming; working my hamstrings on the way up and quads on the way down.

The weather was, again, a perfect 50F (10C) without a cloud in the sky to block out the waning moon light. I kept my pace down and my HR held steady between the climbs at 135, about 10 points lower than my “easy” runs earlier in the week. I felt strong through the first 10 miles but started to drag as I completed the loop and headed back up to the water tower on mile 11, so I had to gut out the last two miles.

Nothing exciting happened. Traffic was extremely light and I didn’t run into any coyote’s or bicycle riders trying to walk dogs. There were a ton of birds chirping as the eastern sky brightened around 6:30AM, but for the most part, it was just a slow comfortable Sunday morning run.

I’m on my way to South Bend, Indiana on Monday and then I’m off to Toronto, Ontario on Thursday, so my blogging might be rather light this week. None-the-less, I hope you all have a great week.

Training for the week:

Mon: Rest Day
Tue: 7.0 miles w/10x100m strides; 9:08/mi; avg HR - 144
Wed: X-train; yoga
Thr: 9.3 miles; aerobic; 9;15/mi; avg HR - 144
Fri: X-train; yoga
Sat: 4.1 miles; recovery; 9:16/mi; avg HR - 143
Sun: 13.1 miles; medium-long; 9:38/mi; avg HR - 138

Total for the week: 33.5 miles

17 comments:

Love2Run said...

That sounds like a very pleasant run. Again can we get some sent this way? Good luck with your trip and hope the airline treats you better this time around.

DawnB said...

Nice run Phil. Good pace also. It is wonderful that you keep your heart so low during these run. I think I could learn a thing or two from you about this. great job

miss petite america said...

you LEFT the house before 5 am?!? that's some dedication!!

Phil said...

Give me a couple of months and I'll be on the road before 4:00 AM for my 20 mile long runs. It's hard a appreciate what it's like trying to finish the last hour of a 20 miler with the sun blasting down at 7:00 AM in the middle of July in central Arizona. I'll be doing plenty of bitching and moaning about the heat; forgetting how nice it's been this winter.

Ewen said...

Good to see you back on the plan Phil. That was a nice training half marathon.

You're right about using the hills (that's a decent hill in the photo). Both up, and down at a good pace, will help the quads.

Thanks for the info on Monument Valley. Sorry we missed that last trip - spectacular country!

Sempre Libera said...

Glad to hear you're getting your heartrate back under control. Although I will say that the thought of getting up that early is more than a little mind-boggling!

Deene said...

have a great week and have fun on your travels.

Thomas said...

After the awful winter many of us head, don't expect much sympathy when the heat strikes this summer.

Nice running over those hills, though .

Dusty said...

Sounds nice!! I can picture the trails. Have a nice trip & good job on your long run.

Bex said...

I'm going to have to run in Phoenix sometime - the weather sounds beautiful. Have a good trip!

Chad in the Arizona Desert said...

You sound almost disappointed that nothing exciting happened.

Great job with the run.

Sub said...

Sounds like a beautiful run!

2 things I'll never be able to do:

1) Start a run at 4:50am
2) Run a bunch of hills and still have an average HR of 138 for my run! I end up having an average HR of 148 odd on my recovery runs...

StumbleGuy said...

That's some dedication - an very early start and a half Marathon before breakfast. The rest of the day must seem easy in comparison!

Have a good trip.

Andy

olga said...

What a bunch of nice fast runs! I guess your calf is treating you nicely?

Dawn - Pink Chick said...

I have enough trouble getting up for an 8:30 run. Not sure I could be as dedicated as you. Good job. Enjoy your trips.

J~Mom said...

Great run, Phil!! Someday I will check out your end of the world over there in the North. LOL

Nicole said...

Nice job on the run. I can't wait to run in the double digits again.