Tuesday, March 27, 2007

It's a Breeze

I ran 8 miles this morning in Carlsbad, California. The wind was howling all night long and nothing had changed by the time I got started at 7:00 AM. My sister-in-law was nice enough to allow us to crash at her place just 3 miles south of the down-town Carlsbad. All I had to do was run a mile to the ocean then got to cruise three miles north along the coast to town, turn around and head back to her place. The wind was blowing strong out of the north-west and I mean strong. To give you an idea of how strong the wind was blowing, my outbound splits were: 9:23, 9:15, 9:18, 9:25 - average out-bound pace - 9:20. My splits coming back were: 9:07, 8:24, 8:44, 8:28 - average returning pace - 8:41. Both ways, I kept my HR at 142. However, the worst day running along the ocean is better the best day running most other places I visit … so I have no complaints.

My wife, daughter and I spent the day at the San Diego Zoo (hence the picture). The wind was blowing so hard all day that the animals were plenty agitated. The first time I saw the flamingos in the picture above they were running back and forth in their enclosure in a tight little group. An impressive display, but you had to feel sorry for the birds.

Have a great week.

TRAINING FOR THE WEEK:

MON: Travel Day
TUE: 8.0 Miles w/10x100m strides; 9:01/mi avg pace; HR-142