Friday, March 02, 2007

The Morning Moon

Did anyone else catch the full moon setting over the horizon this morning? I was running west this morning and got to watch the moon slowly turn from bright white to dull orange as it sank lower on the western horizon and finally disappeared behind the White Tank Mountains. Each minute it got darker and darker as more and more smog obscured its light. Although it was a pretty sight, it was also a very visible reminder of what we have to run through each day.

My allergies are kicking into high gear as we enter March. This is usually a tough month for breathing; however, with my long lay off, I’m actually running much better this week than any week since the Carlsbad Marathon. Yesterday, I had planned on a 5 mile recovery run, but had to cut it short in order to get home in time to take my youngest daughter to school (in other words, I over slept). I pushed harder yesterday and managed to keep up a 9:00/mi pace over 4 miles. Nothing to brag about, but it sure felt better than the 10:00/mi pace I was running last weekend in Benson.

This morning I backed off and just went out for an easy run without regards for pace and I got up in time to get in the full 5 miles, so I had no excuses. After 2 miles, my HR stabilized at 145 and stayed there until the hills on mile 5. There was marked improvement on the last mile also. Were as my HR had spiked near 160 last week on the same set of hills, it never exceeded 151 this morning. This is still much higher than I’d like, but a ton better than 160. Average pace this morning: 9:15/mi.

I've got two more runs scheduled for this weekend before I start the endurance build up phase in preparation for my next marathon. I hope you all have a great weekend.

6 comments:

teacherwoman said...

I came across your blog via Javamom.

I didn't see a moon this morning, in fact, all I saw when I looked out the window was snow... brrr...

Ewen said...

Not down here. I do remember seeing it setting in the west early in the morning. Quite a sight, and luckily, no pollution here - except for wood smoke.

That's one 'good', well, interesting, thing about coming back. Seeing the HR stats dramatically improve over 3 or 4 weeks. Keep it going Phil.

Love2Run said...

It sometimes takes awhile to fully recover. And your next marathon is? How about MDI, downeast in Oct?

miss petite america said...

i think i could only run a 9:00/mi pace in my dreams...

Sempre Libera said...

Sounds like you're doing better already. That's great!

Oh, and there's a lunar eclipse tonight! It's supposed to be cloudy here in NYC but I'm hoping the weather gods change their mind right around 6:58pm...

Rose said...

Can't say I like getting up that early, but we caught the moon in the east on a beautiful evening run. Can't wait for the longer days after next week!