Sunday, March 25, 2007

On the Road Again

OK, I got in my 14 miler this morning in Ontario, California. I had set my alarm for 4:00AM, but woke up on my own at 3:15. Instead of getting up, immediately, I lounged around until my alarm went off, got up, put on my running gear and headed out the door. I was staying in a hotel next to the Ontario Mill Mall, and like any shopping mall in US suburbia, this one had a road ringing the huge complex and most of the parking lot. At this time on a Sunday morning there wasn’t a car in sight and there certainly wasn’t anyone else running and although this wasn’t the most interesting run I’ve every done, there was a certain peacefulness associated with running around and around the mall in the dark. And as if by magic, after 4 laps, my Garmin read 6.99 miles; as if I was intended to run this course for 14 miles. 2:07:31 after starting, I was done.

Soccer Tournament Update: For those of you that asked, the tournament was held at the massive San Bernardino Soccer Complex in San Bernardino, California. Although the fields are nice, the location sucks. There isn’t a decent hotel within 20 miles, there are few places to eat near the fields and not much to do between games except take the long drive back to the hotel. Although our team played with more energy today, we again lost both games. Four games, four loses. Not our best effort.

Travel Update: I realize I said that my wife and I were heading back to Phoenix tonight, but we realized during lunch today that our daughter was on “spring break” this week and hence there really wasn’t any need to rush home. Instead of driving back to Phoenix, we drove down to Carlsbad, California to visit with my sister-in-law for a few days. Now I’ve got another week on the road and need to figure out how to get in all my runs for this week on the Pfitz plan.

Today's Shout Outs -- Lots of distance racing this weekend:
Renee - Ran the More Half Marathon in New York City under less than ideal conditions. Sounded like there were way too many walkers.
Dawn - Ran the More Marathon in NYC. Dawn is a true marathon maniac. She would run one every weekend if her schedule allowed it.
Sub - Ran a very wet half marathon on Mercer Island in Seattle. This guy can really move.


Training for the week:

MON: Rest Day
TUE: 8.0 Miles with 4 miles @ 7:52/mi; HR - 141
WED: 4.1 Miles, Recovery, 9:22/mi; HR - 136
THR: Travel Day
FRI: 10.2 Miles, Medium Long; 9:11/mi; HR - 147
SAT: 5.0 Miles, Recovery; 9:12/mi; HR - 147
SUN: 14.0 Miles, Medium Long; 9:08/mi; HR - 142

Total Distance for the Week: 41.3 Miles

12 comments:

Darrell said...

8 laps around the mall, wow! That's as much mental stamina as physical. You've got this training while traveling thing all figured out.

Sempre Libera said...

You set your alarm for 4:00AM and woke up on your own at 3:15?! If I weren't so baffled, I'd be impressed! :-)

Dusty said...

Nice job getting the 14 miles in. Hope you and your wife have a nice time in Carlsbad.

Mike said...

Sorry to hear about the games, but glad to hear you got the long run in. Have fun down in Carlsbad. Jeez, that travel would drive me crazy!

Chad in the Arizona Desert said...

I guess those mall are good for something afterall. Great job getting the run in.

Sorry to hear about the soccer games.

J~Mom said...

Sorry about the games. Sounds like a nice run out there...I can't believe you can function after waking up at 3:15. That would make me way cranky!

Phil said...

It's no mystery why I was awake at 3:15. Like a lot of 52 year olds, I wake up at least once in the middle of the night. Once I was awake, I couldn't get back to sleep knowing my alarm was set to go off at 4.

Anne said...

I've done those same kind of parking lot loops while traveling, as much for safety as the lack of a more appealing route. They can indeed to liberating.

Carlsbad was covered in clouds yesterday, wasn't it? That's not a bad thing. I live for a few cloudy, rainy days to break up to monotony.

Feminist Runner said...

"I had set my alarm for 4:00AM, but woke up on my own at 3:15."
Um, I'm sorry, can you put that into English for me?

Nice job getting the run in. Pretty ingenious, too, with that mall parking lot.

Journey to a Centum said...

Your "indian" alarm clock went off before the clock on the night table. When I was in Scouts we would drink a bunch of water just before jumping in the sleeping bag so we could be the first up to go fishing in the mornings. We called it the "indian" alarm clock.

When you run in Ontario California do you wear an oxygen tank? That area can have some of the worst smog I've ever seen.

Sounds like a nice trip to Carlsbad.

Happy Running!

Sub said...

Man! You are dedicated - getting up at 3:15/4am for a long run! The only time I've gotten up so early is for a race...

Ewen said...

Eight laps of the mall! The essential American run ;) I guess that's the only time of the day you could to it.

Enjoying the occassional 'side-trips' with the race reports Phil.