Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Sammamish River Trail

I made my way to Redmond, Washington this morning. Another day, another airport. I don’t expect any sympathy from anyone out there with my next statement, but it’s my BLOG and I have to say it … I HATE NOT HAVING ELITE STATUS ON ANY AIRLINE! In days gone by, before I had to pinch every travel penny, I flew on two Airlines. America West (now US AIR) for most domestic travel and American for all travel to Europe. Consequently, I always had Silver Status (25000 miles/year) on America West and either Platinum (50,000 miles/year) or Executive Platinum (100,000 miles/year) on American Airlines. Oh, those were the days. No waiting in long lines for security, use of the Airline Clubs whenever I had a long lay over, first class upgrades on most every flight, etc, etc, etc.

We’ll pilgrim, those days are long gone. Now, I’m pond scum everywhere I go. American one day, Delta the next. US Air for a leg, United the next; maybe a flight on Alaska or Air Canada for some variety. This morning was typical. I got to the Phoenix airport at 6:00 AM for a 7:30 AM flight and stood in the security line for 45 minutes … at 6:00 AM!

Thanks for listening, I feel better now. I'm still pond scum, but I'm calm pond scum.

Since I had to be at the airport at 6:00 AM this morning, there was no way I was going get in the prescribed 8 miler with 4 @ half-marathon pace before my flight. Anyway, I was looking forward to getting back out on the Sammamish River trail in Redmond for an hour of peaceful running with no cars to deal with or the idiots driving them.

I got off of work at 5:30, checked into my hotel, quickly changed into my running gear and drove down to the trail by 6:30. It was 41F (5C), overcast with light rain when I got started; perfect running weather. I only wore a long-sleeved top with shorts and gloves figuring it just wasn’t cold enough to warrant a second shirt or tights. I questioned that logic for the first few minutes, but quickly warmed up and found myself humming along at 8:45/mi on the first mile. Faster than I’d like, but my HR was staying well below 135, so I slowed up a little, but kept the pace right around 9 for the first 4 miles.

After running north for 4 miles, I turned around and accelerated to my ½ marathon pace (around 8:15/mi). It’s been a long time since I’ve run any faster than 9:00/mi miles, so I was hesitant to really crank it up. I ran the first mile in 8:12 and my HR stayed close to 150 for most of the mile. I pushed a little harder and finished the second mile in 8:05 and my HR stayed at 151 which is close to 85% HRmax. I was still feeling pretty good and not breathing too hard. The third mile went by in 8:03 and the HR stayed at 151. With everything under control, I fully expect to finish out the last mile at 8:00/mi and run the workout as Pfitzinger envisioned, until I saw my prey.

Two joggers a 1/4 mile in front, running with a dog. I couldn’t resist. I only had one mile to go and I’d done so well sticking to a reasonable HR. I accelerated and quickly over took the pair. I exchanged pleasantries with the joggers as I blew by them and then looked down at my Garmen. I’d covered the first half mile in 3:25 (6:50/mi pace). That is most definitely NOT my half marathon pace, it’s faster than my 5K pace. I slowed up a little and finished out the last mile in 7:08. Of course my HR surged to 161 in the process, but a guy has to have a little fun.

It really felt good running fast again (or at least as fast as I can run). Hope your week is going as well.

TRAINING FOR THE WEEK

MON: Rest Day
TUE: 8.0 Mile with 4@7:52/mi avg HR - 141

PS – Anyone in the Seattle area that wants to join me for dinner is welcome to come to the Bento Box (Japanese Cuisine) in Redmond. I’ll be there at 8PM (I’m not an early eater). I ate there tonight and had the salmon sashimi appetizer. I didn’t need all that meat, but it was exquisite.

10 comments:

Thomas said...

You have to queue like the rest of us now? My heart goes out to you, not.

Ewen said...

If Qantas had a Concord I would've been there. By the way, the queues are pretty short down here.

Good run (and catch) Phil. Running fast is fun :)

Laufenweg said...

"hey joe!"

excellent run! :-) it's much more fun to be outside overtaking joggers than to be "oj'ing" it through the airport isn't it?

your supper in seattle sounds like it was fun too.

Sempre Libera said...

Few things are more fun than feeding the speed demon during a regular ol' training run :-)

Rose said...

Sounds like a great run! And a 6:50 pace IS fast.

Airports are one place where you're justified to be as snobbish as you please :)

Chad in the Arizona Desert said...

Great job with the run.

Pretty soon, the airlines won't even have seats, they will have you standing like on the subway. Gotta love that customer service.

miss petite america said...

flying in general is pretty craptastic as of late. and it's the only time i'm glad i'm small and can fit in tighter quarters comfortably.

rarely do i get to race past people but when i do, it really does feel good! good for you :)

Journey to a Centum said...

Imagine my anticipation as I prepare to drag myself out of bed tomorrow morning and "cattle car" on Southwest Airlines. Sorry I didn't see your entry earlier I may have tried to meet up with you for dinner. With my travel and yours it will probably only be a matter of time before our schedules sync.

Sounds like you got in a typical PNW run. We had a little bit of every kind of weather on Tuesday, rain, sun, thunderstorms, snow. Must be Spring! I call the "targets" ahead of me "roadkill". I always think that I must have some race horse blood in me or something because I can't stand to have someone ahead of me. Nice job taking on those two runners and thier dog!

Cheers

Lana said...

Great job on the run...I need to make better use of heart rate monitor - I haven't used it much lately.

Japanese Cuisine...mmmmm!

Bex said...

Okay, dumb question, but why are you flying less these days? Which is a good thing, don't get me wrong. I've spent PLENTY of time aloft and in airports b/c of work.

And great training run! Way to pick up the pace at the end.