Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Surf's Up

I ran 5 more miles along the coast in Carlsbad this morning. Fortunately, the horrific winds of Tuesday had died down completely, the skies were clear and the temperature was a perfect 49F (9C); perfect running weather.. My wife wanted to get in her morning walk along the beach, so instead of starting my run at my sister-in-laws place, we drove down to the beach and started from the sand. Since this was a “recovery” run and I really didn’t care too much about pace I brought along my camera for a few parting shots before heading back to Arizona. I took all of the pictures on the first 3 miles, so my splits were all over the map: 9:29, 9:22, 9:17, 8:48, and 8:34.

I don’t know why BLOGGER decided to leave off the link to post comments yesterday. I hope this post doesn’t get hit with the same fate.

TRAINING FOR THE WEEK:

MON: Travel Day
TUE: 8.0 Miles w/10x100m strides; 9:01/mi avg pace; HR-142
WED: 5.0 Miles, recovery; 9:06/mi avg pace; HR - 145

A few more pictures from this morning



My wife leaving for her walk.



Trail along the bluffs ... note the crowds this time of year



Looking north towards "down town" Carlsbad. The smoke stack is part of the power plant immediately south of town.



Fellow runner holding up fence along the bluffs.

15 comments:

J~Mom said...

Wow, it is gorgeous there. I have been to Carlsbad one time but it was October and a bit chilly for the beach. Our main attraction was Legoland. Anyway, thanks for the pics. It was nice to meet Phil's wife. :>)

Ewen said...

Ahhh, the familiar grey sands of the west coast beaches :) Also the 'fog'. Much more interesting than the golden and white sands of Aussie beaches!

That trail looks inviting Phil. Thanks for stopping and taking the photos.

StumbleGuy said...

Thanks for the photos. I gotta get me to the coast over the Easter break - I miss it.

I had a missed comment link on one of my recent posts. I thought it was something I'd done - maybe we've found a bug!

Andy

Nicole said...

Beautiful pictures and thank you for the great advice.

Laufenweg said...

great shots!! how fun to see everything. i've missed the beach so much - i've never lived in a land-locked country until now. it's not my thing.

Rose said...

The sand makes for a great workout too! Glad you got to take an impromptu vacation.

miss petite america said...

i'm so freaking jealous. looks like a gorgeous place to run! and i'm not just talking about your wife ;)

olga said...

I am really envious of your traveling:) Nice pictures~

Love2Run said...

I love the ocean too! Glad you took time to share the beauty with us. Thanks!

Yvonne said...

darn - very jealous. me needs sun and sand right me...

stephruns said...

what a beautiful trail

Josh said...

Looks like a great place to run and explore!

Feminist Runner said...

That's so beautiful!

Chad in the Arizona Desert said...

Wow! What a beautiful place for a run. I can see why Californian pay such steep prices to live as close as they can to the coast. Nothing quite like it.

Anne said...

Great photos, especially the scenic shot with that lovely smokestack. Amazing that it just sits there, an eyesore that somehow also blends in. Beats the "boobs" -- i.e., nuclear reactors -- up the road in San Onofre.

And thanks for the heat running tips. I assure you they will be put into action tomorrow.