Friday, March 23, 2007

Trials and Tribulations

This will be a real short post (I promise). I arrived home at 4:10 AM this morning, 12 hours after I left my office in Redmond, Washington. The trip is usually closer to 6 hours, but this time, I decided to go through Las Vegas instead of flying direct from Seattle to Phoenix. The change saved me almost $100, but I lost a whole lot of sleep as a result; but it could have be worse I guess.

My plane out of Seattle on Alaska Airlines was delayed by two hours waiting on a flight crew (the pilots) to arrive to fly the plane to Las Vegas. This was a bit nerve racking because my layover in Las Vegas was (you guessed it) two hours. While the plane was taxiing to the gate in Las Vegas, I called US Air and found out that my flight to Phoenix was delayed by an hour and wouldn’t be departing until mid-night. I was flying on a split ticket, so I couldn’t check in for the US Air flight in Seattle and needed some time to get to the US Air check-in counter. After a bit of shucking and jiving to get over the fact the auto-check-in Kiosk wouldn’t check me in because the flight was already scheduled to have departed, I managed to get to the head of the line and get a boarding pass. With 15 minutes to spare, I breezed through security and found my way to the gate; only to discover that the airplane was now scheduled to depart at 12:30 … this became 12:45 … and then 1:00 AM. We finally got off the ground at 2:10 AM.

The bad thing about this was that it wasn’t until nearly 1:00 AM that I discovered that the airport in Las Vegas had free internet service. I spent about 30 minutes catching up on your blogs, but wasn’t able to get to everyone before I had to board the flight to Phoenix.

I finally got to bed at 4:30 AM this morning and got up at 8:30 for my 10 miler. Nothing much to report on the 10 miler; my HR was higher than I’d like, most likely due to dehydration from the long flight back from Seattle. But I did get the run in.

I’m heading to California this weekend for a soccer tournament and still have a 5 miler and a 14 miler to run. The 5 miler shouldn’t be a problem, but finding the time to get in the 14 miler may be a challenge. We’ll see.

If you get the chance, go visit Mike's blog. Mike is the fastest guy I've ever met and has a great video of his kids that is just too cute. I only wish I was half the father he is when my kids were young.

Have a great weekend.

14 comments:

david said...

In my book you should be able to log some of the travel mileage just because of wear and tear on your body. Good luck with your runs this weekend.

Laufenweg said...

whew. i'm tired out just reading your blog! i'm going to bed.

Anne said...

I would have been more than dehydrated...how's about dead tired! You have the most interesting flights.

Dusty said...

I'm exhausted just reading it. I'm impressed that you ran - with those hours I probably would have been so tired I would trip and fall (then fall asleep right there on the sidewalk)! Hope your flights to and from CA work out well & you get pleanty of sleep! Good luck w/that 14 miler!

Ewen said...

You like living close to the edge with your flight schedule Phil.

Well done on the 10 miler. Hope you can get the 14 in - perhaps 60 laps of the soccer field ;)

J~Mom said...

Man, I would have my nails bit down to nubs if I had to fight that kind of schedule. You must be used to it by now though. I remember when I tried to run 8 miles on 5 hours of sleep and it fizzled out. Great job sticking to the plan.

Darrell said...

I admire and applaud the fact the you are able to get your runs in when you are out of town. Enjoy California.

aggie jogger '77 said...

Hi Phil - new blogger here, I'm Randy, we are close to the same age but you have quite a bit of speed on me judging from your stats...I'm doing a 5k in 34 minutes or so and improving but a far cry from where you are. I'm training towards my first half marathon on April 29, the Oklahoma City Memorial Marathon/Half Marathon and am already thinking that within the next year there will be a full marathon within my sights....hope you don't mind me adding your blog to my links...stop by and visit sometime...Randy

Mike said...

Phil, with all the soccer tourneys, kid-shuttling and college visits, I don't think anyone around here thinks you're any less than a stellar dad. I just make a goofy movie once in awhile (which is much easier these days than when your kids were younger).

Sorry to hear about the travel woes, and hope you get in that longer run without any foot issues.

Feminist Runner said...

Get some rest along with those runs, that travel, and that parenting and you'll be golden.
Take care, Phil!

Love2Run said...

Now that's dedication to both your running and your family. It's just a state of mind, isn't it? Good work!

DawnB said...

have a great weekend Phil. Hope the tournament goes well. Try to get some rest though!!!

Chad in the Arizona Desert said...

Dude, do you ever see the inside of your house? Now off to Cali? I'm just impressed that you have the energy to train at all after all of that.

Good job on the 10 miler.

miss petite america said...

holy crap! 10 miles after THAT travelling disaster? you're hard core, dude. hard. core.