Thursday, April 19, 2007

After the Sunset

 My wife and I are preparing to put our house on the market and significantly down size of lives and it's a bitter sweet experience for me. With only one child living at home, it makes no sense to live in a house as large as this one. It's expensive to maintain (water, electricity, gas, etc) and I just don't enjoy keeping up the yard or cleaning the pool. But I'm going to miss the views. I took the sunset picture from the west facing balcony and I'm pretty sure I can't afford anything else in the valley with views like this. Oh well.
On the running front, I got in a nice 11 miler tonight. I dropped my daughter at soccer practice and ran north on the path along the AZ51 freeway to Reach 11 park in the north part of Phoenix. It was well past sunset by the time I reached desert, forcing me to turn on my headlamp as I headed onto to the dirt trails. As some of you may remember, I ran into a rattle snake the last time I ran out there in the dark. But with a new set of batteries in my lamp, I had some confidence that I would be able to see another snake well in advance. Fortunately, it was a totally uneventful evening.

Hope your week is going well

Training for the week:
MON: 10.3 miles, aerobic w/5 miles@7:51/mi - HR 151
TUE: 4.6 miles, aerobic; 8:55/mi
WED: Rest Day
THR: 11.3 miles, aerobic; 9:00/mi

Posted by Picasa

17 comments:

J~Mom said...

That is a big decision but it sounds like a wise one. Do you know what area you will look in? I am guessing you will stay north of the valley? I know a group of peeps in the SE valley need a running coach. He he he.

Glad your run went off without a hitch. Sounds peaceful.

When you have a sec I did post up my heart rate readings if you want to take a look. It got buried pretty quick. Thanks!

If the link doesn't work it's on 4-14.

http://javamomontherun.blogspot.com/2007/04/longer-and-slowerfinally.html

Sub said...

Beautiful pic. Thanks for sharing.

Hopefully, the house swap ends up being relatively hassle free...

Laufenweg said...

gorgeous sunset. thanks for letting us see it too. best of luck for you & the family as you embark on the "next phase!"

Thomas said...

I just know that I would not dare to run anywhere near a place that has venomous snakes.

Hilda said...

Nice you were able to enjoy a great part of your family life there. Certainly in your new life you will find other benefits.

I wonder how it is like to run in the dark with a lamp. Pretty scary for me... but it should be just the idea, it is so natural for you!

Neese said...

Best wishes on your adventure into downsizing -- sometimes it's nice just to let other people take care of things (pool, yard, etc). I understand it's bittersweet though. Good job knocking out 11 miles.

Sempre Libera said...

Good luck with the house search! I'd be sad to leave that amazing view too, but I think the smaller space will be a relief. Bigger is not always better!

Sounds like a lovely run, too. Glad there were no rattlesnakes! There was a tiny mouse in my apt last night and that was more than enough for me...

Deene said...

a beautiful sunset.

Chad in the Arizona Desert said...

Certainly no fun keep up with a big house when you don't need it. We get pretty nice sunsets over in the West Valley.

olga said...

I always wonder when people downsize (what is wise), but have to deal with grown market (what means the smaller house costs as much if not more than previous one) - how does it pan out? pardon my question, I guess because I didn't grow up here, all this equity and what-not is a dark side of the moon for me:) The sunset is gorgeous!

Anne said...

We'll be downsizing soon too, with both girls in college. I don't have the view, but I've got some incredible runs right outside my door that I will definitely long for once we relocate.

Feminist Runner said...

Definitely bittersweet. What a gorgeous sunset!

Blaxabbath said...

It's go time.

Dragons.

Jamie said...

Very beautiful sunset. Are you guys staying in Arizona? Best of luck with everything and nice job on the training this week.

Ewen said...

Great view Phil, but you get to see sunsets on the run, so the smaller place looks like a good option. You can spend the pool cleaning time with the family (or out running).

It's cooling down a bit over here, which keeps our snakes pretty placid.

Bruce said...

All the best with the move Phil, hope it goes well and that you get to spend more time on the things that matter.

Nicole said...

Good luck with selling the house - that is a huge decision. I've been trying to get my dad to sell his house but he is just too stubborn.