Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Feel the warmth

I really don’t know why I’m running at night this week. I had early morning meetings on Tuesday, so I ran my long tempo on Monday night. Tuesday night was available, so I ran again. I got home after work tonight around 6 PM and my wife asked me if I was going to run. It fit into her plans, so I threw on my running gear and headed out the door with my black lab for an easy 10 miler.

However, unlike Monday and Tuesday when the temperature was just over 80F (27C), tonight the temperature in my neighborhood was 91F (33C) at 6:00 PM. After the first couple of miles, my HR was already approaching 150 as my body struggled to cool off. This isn’t exactly what I wanted, but the pace felt comfortable, so I just continued on down the road. After 4 miles I made it to Reach 11 park and ran under the same over pass where I had encountered the 3 kids with fire-crackers on Monday night. There was no one in sight tonight, so I took my dog off his leash and let him run around in the deserted park; chasing every rabbit and bird he spotted. At the 5 mile mark, I jammed my water bottle in his mouth and made him drink some water, turned around and headed home.

As always, I picked up the pace on the last 2 miles and watched my HR again climb up to 160; much too high for a medium-long aerobic run, but I felt ok. I’m still having trouble with my right foot going numb after 3 or 4 miles and the problem seems to be correlated with a feeling of tightness in my right Achilles Tendon. After a couple more miles, the feeling goes away and I’m able to run smoothly. Definitely strange.

TRAINING FOR THE WEEK:

MON: 9.5 miles w/4 miles at 7:30/mi; 8:37/mi avg pace
TUE: 5.0 miles, recovery; 9:42/mi avg pace; HR - 139
WED: 10.0 miles, aerobic; 9:14/mi avg pace; HR - 151

7 comments:

Ewen said...

33 is hot for a 6pm run Phil. Our temps are in the mid-teens now at that time.

I guess you're doing all the calf stretches for the achilles? Definitely a strange one!

Mike said...

Sounds like some cardiac drift with the heat Phil, so I wouldn't worry too much about the elevated heart rate while you're running in the oven. It's been a little cooler down here (5 degrees), but it was still 85 for our run last night.

The achilles thing sounds new. While stretching is good (sometimes), it's a very easy thing to overdo with the calf or achilles so do be careful

Sempre Libera said...

You made your dog drink from your water bottle - that's hysterical! I think if I had ever tried that on my dog she would have thought it was a toy.

Chad in the Arizona Desert said...

Ah, the heat is just beginning in Phoenix.

I love running at Reach 11. It is too far from my house to run there for training, but I love doing the races that ARR puts on there.

Feminist Runner said...

Is shoving the water bottle in your dog's mouth a good upper body workout? I can't believe how hot it is there! It snowed here today.

J~Mom said...

A couple more weeks and I am going to start running in the morning. At least I think. LOL Nice job on your 10 miler!

aggie jogger '77 said...

Great 10 mile run Phil. Just when we thought that spring was here, we may get snow flurries over the next 2 days, DRATS.
I had a good 5 mile run this afternoon using a 2/1 run/walk routine. I didn't get as tired and I bested my previous PR by almost a minute.