Monday, April 16, 2007

Incomprehensible Tragedy

After listening to the students and professors of Virginia Tech describe the tragedy that befell their small community today, any attempt to document my minor failures and triumphs seems all too petty; so I’ll just leave it at that.

Thank you for your well wishes concerning my daughter’s soccer team. Being an overly exuberant parent, I over-stated the actual outcome of yesterdays win. The final score was 3-0 and not 4-0 as I report. If anyone wants to follow along at home, you can do so via the Arizona Youth Soccer’s Association’s Web Site or by going directly to the flighting page. From the drop down menu, select “15G” to see the current schedule. My daughter’s team in listed as: ”SC del Sol 92 Xtreme White”.

Take care of yourself this week.

Training for the week:

MON: 10.3 miles, aerobic w/5 miles@7:51/mi - HR 151

11 comments:

Ewen said...

Yes, that was terrible. Big news down here as we had our own tragedy with Port Arthur.

Take care Phil, and good running.

Sempre Libera said...

Incomprehensible is right. One can only hope those families and students find a way to make it through this.

Hilda said...

Yes so sad, so bad.

Deene said...

a terrible tragedy, makes a person want to stay under the covers all day long.

7:51 is pretty fast.

D said...

Very sad.

Congrats to your daughter and her team!

StumbleGuy said...

Terribly saddened, watching events unfold from here in the UK.

Nicole said...

Right on.

Congrats to your sister.

DawnB said...

very, tragic. I just read about it!!God Bless everyone of those families!!!

Mike said...

Words really don't seem to work in a situation like this. These stories affect me so much more since I became a dad, and fatherhood really is a permanent job so I don't suspect it will ever get any easier.

When I hear about something like this running seems so trivial, but then again it's something more than the solitary, selfish pursuit that some people believe the sport is. Rather, it can be a celebration of community, love and friendship. At least that's what I pick up on through the relationships running has revealed to me.

Josh said...

Phil - I agree. I debated writing about the Virginia Tech tragedy but decided against it. A terrible thing which can only be healed by God and time.

Chad in the Arizona Desert said...

Mike and Josh nailed exactly how I feel. God's grace to the victims and their loved ones.