Monday, April 02, 2007

Mojo Returns

My mojo seems to have returned. After a sluggish 4.7 mile warm up this evening (9:30/mi avg), I turned around and headed back to my car. My game plan was simple, 4.5 mile warm up, 4 miles at 8:00/mi, 0.5 mile cool down; however, after yet another slow warm up my confidence that I’d be able accelerate up to 8:00/mi on this warm evening was rather low. Over the first quarter mile I was running just under 8:00/mi and starting to breathe hard when I remembered Mike’s oft quoted advice; “when you get tired, speed up”; and speed up I did. Over the next 4 miles I ran: 7:31, 7:32, 7:32 and 7:21.

The 7:21 was probably a little over the top and unnecessary. I was supposed be running a tempo somewhere near my 15K pace; however, running that 7:21 at the end of a 9 miler pushed my HR all the way up to 166, or 95% HRmax. It would sure be nice if I could run 15K with my HR pegged at 166, but that just isn’t going to happen. Of well, sometimes you just need to let go.

If you have a few minutes, go over and check out Thomas's blog. He completed a 39 mile Ultra over the week, running the first 26.2 miles in 3:35. This is the same guy that once struggled to get under a 4 hour marathon; now he is just an incredibly strong runner.

TRAINING FOR THE WEEK:

MON: 9.5 miles w/4 miles at 7:30/mi; 8:37/mi avg pace

16 comments:

Rose said...

There's nothing like a great fast run after a not-so-good one. Sometimes I think our minds need to know what we're made of, even if the body is lagging behind a bit!

Thomas said...

Thanks for the shout, Phil.
Don't overdo it on the HR, 95% is far out of the tempo run zone.

(I know, I know, you'll stop that sort of thing once you grow up. And so do all of us.)

Adama Anderson said...

Sounds like you had a better run than the day before. Good job. Oh yeah, I laughed at the entry you posted on someone shooting a gun while you were on the trail, I only laugh cause I heard shots fired one day on one of my runs. You're right, it's not uncommon not to hear shots in Arizona.

Mike said...

I think we're kind of like cars in that there are some speeds that just don't hit the right groove as far as the gears go. Personally, I like speeding up, especially towards the end of runs. I think it's a good pattern to get into that can hopefully be repeated on race day.

That being said, I take away all I said if you can't recover from it (but I doubt one 7:21 mile will kill you). Nice to hear about a good one here.

Sempre Libera said...

Glad to hear you were able to get in some speed! You had a tough couple of runs and I'm sure your legs (and your spirits) needed the boost. How are you feeling one day later?

miss petite america said...

there's a article on mantra's in may's runner's world. i might just have to add yours to my growing list. they really help when your mind and body are waning.

Journey to a Centum said...

Run faster to get it over with is my mantra when I'm tired. Next thing we know you will eliminate the warmup and just crank out 8 miles at a 7:00 pace.

Looks like you folks are having some beautiful running weather. Take advantage now before the blast furnace of summer kicks in.

Donald said...

I wish I had known about your blog last week - I was just in Phoenix looking for someplace nice to run (I wasn't too successful). Deene pointed me here today.

Happy training!

Bex said...

I like Mike's quote. And you sure did speed up - good legs! I missed my long run this past weekend (still in Hawaii), but I plan to do at least 12 miles tomorrow before I leave the islands. I'll take the quote to heart in those last few miles.

J~Mom said...

Wow, Phil!! That is awesome! Wasn't it just gorgeous last night? If we could just keep the weather right there!

olga said...

I was going to send Donald here too:)
You know, this pace all of you guys are running is just plain painful...I mean depressive...I mean scary. I think I should hang my shoes and go bowling, although I don't like beer that much. May be golfing?
Nicely done!

aggie jogger '77 said...

Great times Phil, you so overshadow my turtle times. I finished a practice half marathon distance on Sunday that felt great even at my slower times.

Chad in the Arizona Desert said...

Great job, Phil! You are right, sometimes you just need to let go and remind yourself of how fun it can be to go fast. After all, if we can't have fun with this, why bother doing it.

DawnB said...

nice job Phil great!!! Oh where oh where is my mojo!!! :)

Banking Miles said...

Nice. Sometimes it just feels good to crank it up a notch.

Sub said...

It must have felt awesome to crank up the pace!