Saturday, April 07, 2007

Post Blood Letting

I had planned on a 5 mile recovery run this morning after giving blood yesterday; however, I overslept and only had time for 4. Giving blood always wipes me out for a few days, so I knew this recovery run wouldn’t be anything special and it lived up to that expectation.

Unlike the furnace-like weather I’ve put up with on my last 4 runs, this morning the temperature was a cool 65F (18C) and very breezy. I deviated from my standard 5 mile route by chopping off the last two miles and replacing it with a single mile in the hills around my house. It made for a shorter, but tougher run. My HR stayed under 140 for the first 3 miles and shot up to 150 running up the hills. The good news: no stupid drivers, no snakes, and no hot weather.

I still need to decide what I’m going to run tomorrow morning. I’ve already run my long run for the week and I don’t want to over due it. What ever I do, it will probably depend on what time I drag myself out of bed.

I hope all is well with you this weekend and those of you that celebrate Easter get to spend some time with your families.

TRAINING FOR THE WEEK:

MON: 9.5 miles w/4 miles at 7:30/mi; 8:37/mi avg pace
TUE: 5.0 miles, recovery; 9:42/mi avg pace; HR - 139
WED: 10.0 miles, aerobic; 9:14/mi avg pace; HR - 151
THR: 17.0 miles, aerobic; 9:23/mi avg pace; HR - 148
FRI: Rest Day
SAT: 4.0 miles, recovery; 9:40/mi avg pace; HR - 138

13 comments:

Hilda said...

No long run but running. Thought you were resting the whole weekend but seems hard to take you off the road :P

Anne said...

I wrote about the impact giving blood has on a runner over at Complete Running. It takes awhile to replace what you've donated. And thank you for making the sacrifice.

Anne said...

Oops. Meant to publish the URL on donating blood:

http://completerunning.com/archives/2007/02/20/becoming-blood-brothers-and-sisters/

Nicole said...

Nice recovery! And, thank god no snakes! The good thing about the city we only have rats.

Feminist Runner said...

It's definitely tough to run after giving blood. A good deed, though.
Happy Easter!

StumbleGuy said...

There's a famous comedy sketch in the UK from the '50s by Tony Hancock called "The Blood Donor". When told how much he must give, he exclaims "A pint? That's very nearly an armful!"

I feel wobbly for a few days after giving an armful too.

Andy

StumbleGuy said...

BTW, you asked about atom feeds nearly a year ago. I posted a reply comment but am not sure you read it (it wasn't here). Is that sorted now?

Andy

D said...

I'm scheduled to give blood on Thurs. No working out for me that day. Your runs look good, Phil!

J~Mom said...

Nice recovery run!

We did have great weather this weekend, didn't we?

Love2Run said...

I used to donate but since the running bug hit me it always seems there's a big event coming up too close. Perhaps I'll rethink my strategy. Good job Phil!

Chad in the Arizona Desert said...

Giving blood will definitely wipe you out for a few days. Definitely not something you want to do the day before a race.

Great job with the run.

Adama Anderson said...

I wish I could give blood. I tried about three months ago and was turned away, I was told since I went to Baghdad last summer that I was not able to donate blood for one year. Anyways, thanks for making a difference, it is so much needed and people rarely ever give. It's unfortunate.

Thanks for the comment, the Pat's Run was not really competitive for me, I was there to support the cause along with the rest of the people...well I hope everyone was there for the cause and not for the race. I will admit, I did want a good time since I'm trying to learn how to pace myself and keep myself from wearing out. So anything big like this or small like the 5K's/10K's I try hard to keep within my goals.

Now I have a question for you. Since you are a member of ARR, do you find it to be a problem when non-member's join the ARR summer series this summer? Do the members of ARR have issues with non-members? I would possibly join but I'm headed off to Belgium for two years in October. I'd love to participate and I know y'all have a fee for non-members for the series. Thanks Phil.

Dusty said...

Giving blood wipes me out too - glad you are paying attention to it - see other runners go out there and end up passing out. Great that you give!