Thursday, April 26, 2007

The Remains of the Day

Although yesterday was a particularly tough day, as demonstrated by my haggard look while standing in front of our Torrance California facility; I got in a great 12 miler this morning before going back to our facility for another wire-brushing. I used the same 6 mile route as Tuesday from Manhattan Beach to the Hermosa Beach Pier and back; except I started an hour earlier and ran it twice.

I was very happy with my average pace on each 3 mile segment:

Mile 1-3; 8:54/mi
Mile 4-6:;8:42/mi
Mile 7-9:; 8:36/mi
Mile 10-12; 8:21/mi

I kept the first 9 miles in my aerobic range; but as more and more runners entered the walkway along the beach, the number of people to chase down kept increasing. Although I was passing plenty of folks, I heard very heavy foot steps coming up behind me on mile 10 and got passed by a 30 something guy who immediately slowed down to my pace after gaining a 10 to 15 foot advantage. I just couldn’t let this go unchallenged and put the hammer down. I passed him just after getting by the 10 mile point and kept accelerating over the final 2 miles. I don’t know where I dropped the guy, but he was nowhere to be found when I got to the end of the run. I suspect, he turned shortly after I passed him when he got to the end of the Hermosa Beach part of the walk way.

Hope your week is going well.

TRAINING FOR THE WEEK:

MON: Rest / Travel
TUE: 6.1 Miles w/7x100 strides; 8:42/mi avg pace
WED: Not eneough sleep
THR: 12.0 Miles/Aerobic/8:38/mi avg pace

17 comments:

Thomas said...

Nice progression! No, the other guy just couldn't keep up. He's probably writing a blog entry right now:

"I overtook this old guy, easy. Then all of a sudden he storms passed me like an arrow. I immediately gave chase, but try as you might I could not get anywhere near him. Eventually I gave up, collapsed and had a good cry. I never want to run again. That guy was just too awesome"

Gotta Run said...

Dido with what Thomas said! Too funny!! Maybe he was to depressed to even blog.

Great job on your pace. Way to finish out a good run.

Robin

Laurie said...

That's your haggard look!?

Nice job leaving that guy in your dust. I'm sure he had no idea what he was starting when he passed you.

Sempre Libera said...

Nice pace you had going there. Sounds like you had a perfect run!

I just let people pass me; most of the time they can't hold it for very long, even when I'm not going fast. I just smile to myself when I hear them huff and puff along.

angie's pink fuzzy said...

way to go!

miss petite america said...

can you bottle your energy and consistency and send them my way?

seriously phil, you rock.

olga said...

And I thought you'd come by Payson...and you went to CA:) Good run! And yeah, who is this man in a suite?

Deene said...

i'm completely envious of your beach workouts!

J~Mom said...

So you have to dress up in fancy clothes while Chad gets to golf all day at work....

Nice run!!

Chad in the Arizona Desert said...

Hey, I resemble that remark, J-Mom! Of course, I do feel more comforable in Neoprene and Spandex than in one of those damn ties. But Phil is looking rather daper.

You will just race anyone, anytime, anywhere, huh? Great run!

jen said...

Great run Phil! That stretch is my favorite run when I travel to LA area for work. I usually end up "challenging" other runners too, usually young guys that can't stand being beat by a girl. Ha ha!

Nicole said...

Seems like things are going well in CA. Hope you have some fun while you are there working.

Ewen said...

You're a natural born racer Phil. I like that. Eneough sleep is code for a bad sleep ;)

Your brother-in -law is lucky. That's a nice part of the coast. Are those oil rigs or boats in the distance?

Laufenweg said...

ha! 30 something guy ATE YOUR DUST!

Love2Run said...

Hey, what a good looking guy. He can't be Phil who's 50?? Must be tough running with a tie too. It's so rare to have runners to catch in our little town that when I get to a race or city it's hard not to accumulate some roadkill. Nice work!

aggie jogger '77 said...

Great run Phil, and I agree with what Thomas wrote, you put the guy to shame, way to go.
Tomorrow is my half marathon and this morning I got out early and did 5 miles and I'm glad I did, no pain, it was a great warmup. Sometime tomorrow I will have a recap of what happens.

Randy

StumbleGuy said...

I had to laugh at Thomas' comment - pitch perfect! I'm sure they can't keep up with you at the office either.

Andy