Saturday, April 14, 2007

Resting Easy

Once I got of my federal and state tax forms completed and ready to mail (yes, I still mail mine) I got out for an easy 4 mile recovery run. I had planned to do it earlier in the day, but it took almost three hours to put the finishing touches on 4 sets of taxes (Mine, my oldest daughter, my middle daughter and a close family friend), so I didn’t get out the door for my run until the temperature topped 83F (28C). Not the hottest it’s been, but hot enough to push my HR up.

Instead of paying attention to HR, I continued to use Phil’s patent pending, “Row Row Row your Boat” technique. After a slow start, I settled into a nice easy rhythm with mile splits at 10:02, 8:55, 9:01 and 8:51. My HR monitor was all over the place, and my Achilles tendon tightened up a couple of times on mile 3; otherwise, everything went OK.

One non-running note. My daughter’s soccer team won their first round game in the Arizona State Championship Tournament last night. The tournament takes the top 16 teams from across the state and except for the top 4 teams from the previous year, seeds the teams randomly. As luck would have it, our first game was against the other team from our club participating in the tournament in our age group. To make it more interesting, our coach’s wife coaches the 2nd team. To make it even more interesting, last night was her birthday. So we had to go out and beat her team on her birthday. This is a double elimination tournament, so now she’ll take her team into the loser’s bracket and have to fight to stay alive with 2 games each weekend for the next 3 weeks. She seems to be an understanding woman.

Hope your weekend is going well

TRAINING FOR THE WEEK
MON: 8.2 miles, aerobic w/10x100m strides; 9:16/mi, HR - 144
TUE: 5.0 miles, recovery; 9:28/mi, HR – 141
WED: Rest Day
THR: 8.3 miles, aerobic; 8:43/mi, HR – 142
FRI: Rest Day
SAT: 4.1 miles, aerobic; 9:11/mi, HR - 145

9 comments:

Adama Anderson said...

Thanks Phil for the email to my question. I appreciate it.

I use to mail my taxes until my taxes two years in a row were not done correctly (in my teens), so now I just do everything online and have not missed a thing.

Congrats on your daughter's team. It's funny to hear about the coaching family rivalry going on in this year's Arizona State Championship.

Anne said...

Congratulations to your daughter and to you on your blog anniversary. I'm glad we found each other in the blogosphere. Perhaps in early June, we'll meet in person when you come here to run the marathon.

miss petite america said...

man you guys beat her? on her birthday?! no mercy...

J~Mom said...

Phil, I would love to take my kids to the soccer championship. Especially my nine year old. Let me know where the games are next weekend if you can.

If you want to do my taxes next year I will send them over.

I posted all my heart rate info if you want to go and have a look at it...it's not pretty and it's not aerobic.

Laufenweg said...

how exciting about your daughter's state soccer tournaments! enjoy!

tax time - blech. i had #1 son sit down and do his a few weeks ago. it was the first time for him to actually do it himself. he kept exclaiming, "oh my God! why don't they speak English!!" ha ha. it was a learning experience, but he atually did it perfectly.....and yeah...we mail ours too.

oh and...way cool heartrate song, dude. :-) if you ever wanna go another way - try a marine corps cadence. http://www.marinesforever.com/Marine-Cadence.htm

aggie jogger '77 said...

Nice run Phil. Today I do a 10k without my HRM and I'm a bit nervous about it. I'll be running with several people that understand and they will be pacing me so that there shouldn't be any problems. I'm not looking for a PR or anything just want to finish the race and feel comfortable with the distance. It's a good warmup before the HM 2 weeks from today.

Randy

StumbleGuy said...

I'm gonna try row-row-row-your-boat. I keep getting a song called Golden Brown by The Stranglers (not as bad as it sounds, honest) going round my head. Which would be fine if it wasn't in 7/8 time.

Can't imagine having to do 4 tax returns. I do mine in the UK online and it still takes days of preparation and then hours slaving over the forms. But it is better than paper!

Congrats to your daughter's soccer team.

Andy

Rose said...

Hey, congrats to your daughter and her team and good luck with the rest of the championship! I still have to do my taxes, but plan to do them after the run today (why waste perfectly good daylight?)

Amy said...

Congrats to your daughter...and I still mail my tax returns too (and I'm an accountant!!!)

Have a great rest of the week (I am aware that I am late in the game...)