Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Silent Night

Dropped my daughter off at soccer tonight and ran a 5 mile recovery. The last time I went through the Pfitzinger plan, I cheated on the recovery runs in the early weeks, running them way too fast. I think I was embarrassed to report that I was running slower than 9:00/mi pace. Well screw that. I learned my lesson and now run my recovery runs as slow as necessary to keep my HR under 140.

I’ve got nothing to report about the run. Although I was running along the freeway I was at peace and experienced a sense of quiet; kind of weird with all the cars rushing by on the other side of the freeway wall.

Have a great week.

TRAINING FOR THE WEEK

MON: 9.5 miles w/4 miles at 7:30/mi; 8:37/mi avg pace
TUE: 5.0 miles, recovery; 9:42/mi; HR - 139

14 comments:

Jamie said...

I love those meditative runs. Nice.

Ewen said...

Well done on keeping the pace slow Phil - great for recovery.

Interestingly, you should find your HR getting lower for any given 'slow speed' the more you practise these. An unexpected pay-off is eventually being able to do your harder runs at lower HRs.

aggie jogger '77 said...

Phil - I was going to comment on your heart rate and I see that Ewen did as well. Though my comment was going to be more in the form of a question about whether or not I will be able to get my HR down more that where it is currently averageing (140-148). I'm not doing any interval/speed training. By starting that will I see an improvement in my HR over time?

Deene said...

being at peace or going out for a relaxing run is wonderful. have a great day!

Amy said...

Glad to see you found your mojo!

Laurie said...

There is definitely no reason to be embarrassed. You're consistent and you should be happy with that.

miss petite america said...

never be embarrassed. heck i get excited about a 11:00/mi pace!

i love those zen runs. and i almost feel even more delight when i have them running by the frenzy of traffic...makes it that much more special :)

StumbleGuy said...

I want some of your recovery speed.

BTW, which marathon are you training for now?

Andy

Feminist Runner said...

Nice job keeping the pace slow. I run everything too fast but races. I should get in on that recovery stuff.

Is it really 91* there?

Neese said...

nothing to be embarassed about with 9mm, but i think you know that... your title puts me in the spirit of christmas, btw, lol

D said...

I wish all of our runs were like this! I'm glad your mojo returned phil!

Anne said...

We've got a freeway path near me and I find it nice to move along to the hum of traffic. Like you, it can be very meditative.

aggie jogger '77 said...

Phil, thanks for sharing with me on my blog about the HR info that is just what I needed. Best of luck with your marathon. When is it?

J~Mom said...

I tend to run my recovery runs at my long distance pace. Albeit they are much slower then what you run...when I run my long run at 13 min/mil I can 't seem to bring myself to run 14 min/mil. I need to work on that!