Saturday, April 28, 2007

Spring Sprang

With the temperature topping out at 101F (38C), I think Spring is officially over here on the Arizona desert and it's time to go visit my friends in Australia until October. Of course, if I did that, what would I have to complain about?

I got back from California last night, but not before I got in one more peaceful run along the beaches between Manhattan Beach and Redondo Beach. For my last run in the cool moist air of Southern California, I ran south along the Strand to Hermosa Beach, out to the end of the Hermosa Beach Pier (see picture below), back to the Strand, continued south to Redondo Beach, ran through the shopping area around the Redondo Beach Pier and then continued on down the path towards Palos Verdes Peninsula. After I reached the 5.5 mile point, I turned around and ran back along the same route.

I kept my pace within my aerobic zone, except for mile 10 where I pushed a bit harder after passing a 30 something guy. I’d been slowly catching up to him for 5 minutes and he was nice eneough to wish me nice day when I went around him. For some reason, I felt obligated to accelerate down under 8:00/mi so as not to give him the impression that I felt like racing. I felt like if I ran fast enough he wouldn't feel obligated to stay with me (he didn't).

SOCCER UPDATE: For those of you following along at home, my daughter’s soccer team won the first two games of a three game weekend. They had to win Friday night to get into the top 4 and started out the first half flat and were down 0-2 at half-time. After a few pointed words from their coach, they seem to remember that they were in a double elimination tournament and had already lost one game. The second half went much better and they finished out the night with a 3-2 win.

The game this afternoon was tougher, but they played much better. As I said in the opening lines of this post, the temperature topped out at 101F this afternoon during the game, but they didn’t let that faze them. They were up 1-0 at half time and won in regulation 2-1. With this win, they play again on Sunday for the opportunity to take on the reigning champions in the Championship Game next Saturday. Of course our coach got red-carded and tossed out of the game which means he needs to sit out the game on Sunday. But we have plenty of back up coaches in this club, so that shouldn’t be a problem.

Training for the week:

MON: Rest / Travel
TUE: 6.1 Miles w/7x100 strides; 8:42/mi avg pace
WED: Not enough sleep
THR: 12.0 Miles, Aerobic; 8:38/mi avg pace
FRI: 11.0 Miles, Aerobic; 9:02/mi avg pace
SAT: 5.2 Miles, Recovery; 9:06/mi avg pace




Looking back at Hermosa Beach from the end of the pier. I didn't take this picture and there were only a couple of people on the pier when I ran down here, but the view looking back at the town with the sun coming up over the horizon through the misty morning fog was simply outstanding.



Looking south from the end of the Hermosa Peir towards Redondo Beach.



Sunset in Manhattan Beach. I took this picture from my sister-in-law's balcony in May 2006.



The "STRAND" in Manhattan Beach. I also took this picture. This wide side walk extends for nearly 4 miles along the beach. There's no traffic and along the sections within the Manhattan Beach city limits, there are no bicycles. Bicyles have their own path closer to the water.

10 comments:

miss petite america said...

GORGEOUS pictures!!

and i gotta give you mad props for passing the younguns :)

Anne said...

The photos are terrific, Phil. The one of the sunset took my breath away.

That it's still April and already in the 100s where you live is one reason I don't think I'll ever call southern AZ home. More power to ya.

Ewen said...

That's a lovely part of California. Thanks for sharing them with us Phil.

It depends where in Australia you visit over winter. Up north you could get maximum temps in the 30s, down here, around 10C in July.

Congrats to your daughter's soccer team - they're going well.

Michele said...

Wonderful pics.

101 Spring???? I am a summer girl but even that is a little over the top for me.

DawnB said...

congratulations!!! your daughters' team is doing well hope they had an even better day today!!!

Nicole said...

Beautiful pictures!
Congrats and Good luck to your daughter.

stephruns said...

What a beautiful sunset!

Gotta Run said...

You need a shirt that reads on the back..

GOTCHA!

Atleast it would give the person you pass something to read. :)

Sempre Libera said...

101 degrees... holy moly. Not even Houston was that hot and I often wonder how on earth it was that I ever ran there.

Beautiful pictures. What perfect running scenery!

Angie said...

oh gorgeous!