Sunday, April 15, 2007

What the ...

2.3 miles! This is somewhat shy of the 12 miler I had in mind for this morning, the last day of my rest week. Every thing was perfect this morning; nothing but clear skies and cool breezes. I walked down to my usual starting point, set down my water bottle in its usual spot and took off at a slow jog to get warmed up.

The game plan was three easy 4 mile loops at a 9:00 to 9:10/mi pace after the warm up. However, my breathing was erratic on the first mile and didn’t get any better on the 2nd mile which was very odd. I usaully get into my rythem before the 2nd mile beep sounds; but this morning, I stopped completely at the end of the 2nd mile to evaluate the situation. My HR monitor indicated my HR was only 134 and recovering quickly. Legs felt ok, feet where fine, I was just have trouble breathing. Go figure. I think the root cause of the problem was a medication I took last night. When I went back and read the side effects, shortness of breath was way near the top … I’ve really got to start paying more attention.

 On a positive note, my daughter’s soccer team, pictured to the left, won their second Arizona State Soccer Championship game this afternoon, beating the 3rd place team from last year’s tournament 4-0. They are now scheduled to play the 2nd place team from last year’s tournament next Sunday.

Thanks for all the nice comments you left concerning her team. It is a lot of fun to watch.

TRAINING FOR THE WEEK:
MON: 8.2 miles, aerobic w/10x100m strides; 9:16/mi, HR - 144
TUE: 5.0 miles, recovery; 9:28/mi, HR – 141
WED: Rest Day
THR: 8.3 miles, aerobic; 8:43/mi, HR – 142
FRI: Rest Day
SAT: 4.1 miles, aerobic; 9:11/mi, HR - 145
SUN: 2.3 miles, aerobic; 9:38/mi, HR - 138

Mileage for the week: 27.9 miles

Posted by Picasa

6 comments:

J~Mom said...

Sorry about your run and the medication!! I love the pic of your daughter's team. Hope all is better tomorrow!

StumbleGuy said...

Hope the meds are short term. Breathing is pretty high on the list of things you need to do when running :).

Happy to see the soccer team is doing so well. Can we follow the championship online anywhere?

Andy

Deene said...

congrats to your daughter's team.
darm meds, some times they interfere with more than intended.

olga said...

Take care of that breathing thing, hoep it goes away (problem, not breathing), and congrats to your daughter's team!

Chad in the Arizona Desert said...

Congrats to your daughter's team.

I actually stopped using my HR monitor because I could never figure out what it was trying to tell me and it didn't seem to ever jibe with how I was feeling or how I was running. Plus, I never used it in a race anyway. I think it is just easier to run on feel.

How the breathing problem was just a temporary thing.

Sub said...

Smart decision on bagging your run. Sometimes we're so dogmatic we stick to our schedule no matter what.

Congrats to your daughter's team!