Friday, May 25, 2007

Half-Baked 8K

My last run before vacation was an attempt at a full out 8K. Once again, I headed over to Paradise Valley Community College to attempt the feat on their track. After a lackluster 15 minute warm I took off and tried to hold a nice and stead 7:10/m pace. I was already 4 seconds behind on the first lap and things didn’t get much better after that. By the time I was on my 4th 1600m, my pace had slipped all the way down to a nice tempo run. I did get a partial boost on mile 3 when a gentleman of slight build with legs like a race horse came onto the track and started warming up faster than I was running. But he only did two laps and then proceeded with a half hour of short exercises that I won’t attempt to describe or repeat.

1600M SPLITS: 7:18, 7:22, 7:28, 7:40 (yikes!), 7:35

I leave for vacation this afternoon, so blogging will become very spotty at best. I’ll be at a soccer tournament in Somerset, New Jersey over the long Memorial Day weekend; spend a couple of days in Manhattan doing the tourist thing; head back to Phoenix on Thursday; drive to Carlsbad, California on Friday and run the R&R San Diego Marathon on Sunday. I wish everyone who is running races over the next couple of weeks the best of luck and will get a race report out as soon as I can after San Diego.

TRAINING FOR THE WEEK:

MON: Rest Day
TUE: 8.3 miles w/5x600m @6:52/mi pace
WED: 5.3 miles, recovery; 9:14/mi avg pace
THR: Rest Day
FRI: 8K, pseudo-race; 7:32/mi avg pace

13 comments:

Gotta Run said...

have a wonderful vacation and an ever better marathon!!!

J~Mom said...

Have a great weekend and vacation!!

Best of luck with your marathon!!

Mike said...

Enjoy the tournament and playing tourist. Remember, there's only one day where you absolutely need to feel your best. It's good you got some stimulus today, and it does no good to agonize over the pace at this point.

Laurie said...

Have a great vacation! Enjoy it and rest up for your marathon!

angie's pink fuzzy said...

have fun on vacation and good luck with the marathon!!!

miss petite america said...

GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!!!

DawnB said...

have a nice weekend and good luck with the tournament!!!

Randy said...

Phil I know you are now on vacation so I may have to ask this again later, but what is your past, you mention being a 50's middle of the pack runner, but just how long have you been running? I am so far behind you in my times and I fear that I would never catch up to your level of running, not that it's a race or anything...just using our similar ages as somewhat of a barometer.....how long have you been running...I remember you posting the photo of all your old shoes...quite a collection, but with the miles you run each week, I can see where 400 miles comes fairly quickly....I'll just be happy to get a few sub-10 minute miles under my belt on a consistent basis. I can run one now but the next one would balloon out to like 12 minutes or so.

Hope you have a great vacation too by the way...take lots of photos.

Ewen said...

Phil, either it just wasn't your day, or you're some way off being in PB shape. Don't let it affect your marathon, apart from sticking to a conservative pacing schedule.

Have a great vacation, and if we don't hear from you before the start, an enjoyable marathon in San Diego!

Dusty said...

Hope you have a GREAT race and a wonderful holiday! Go get 'em!!

ReneeMc said...

Enjoy the vacation, Phil! You deserve it!
And good luck at the race!

Randy said...

Thanks for the feedback Phil...I set a new 10k PR this morning by over 6 minutes...stop by when you can.

DawnB said...

Phil I just did a nice post on Claudia Camargo. Just could resist!! enjoy the rest of your vacation!! I going to bed now it I want to do better in tomorrows' race.