Saturday, May 19, 2007

Mad Dogs


At twelve noon the natives swoon and no further work is done,
But mad dogs and Englishmen go out in the midday sun.

Noel Coward

My cultural heritage was shining through when I decided to run a 5 mile recovery run around 1PM this afternoon. I slathered sun-block on my pasty white skin and ventured out into the midday sun and an 95F (35C) air temperature. The first 4 miles went by much faster than I expected, averaging under 9:00/m. I wasn't pushing the pace and actually felt surprisingly good. However, somewhere around 4.5 miles, the body went into serious shut down mode. As soon as the Garmin beep at 5 miles I stopped running and walked the rest of the way home. My HR was still under control, but my hands and arms were all puffy ... I sort of looked like the Michelin Man.

Mile Splits: 8:56, 9:03, 8:55, 8:50, 8:41

I've had this happen before while hiking out of the Grand Canyon on hot days, but never running. Fortunately, everything was back to normal by the time I got home.

Hope your weekend is going well

TRAINING FOR THE WEEK:

MON: Rest Day
TUE: 6.1 miles, Recovery; 9:07/mi avg pace
WED: 12.7 miles w/7@7:48/mi
THR: x-train; 2.7 mile hike
FRI: 12.3 miles w/5@MP; 8:57/mi avg pace
SAT: 5.0 miles, recovery; 8:53/mi avg pace

7 comments:

Mike said...

Ahhh, sunscreen, the double-edged sword. It keeps you from roasting to a delicious pink, but it also clogs up your pores and keeps the sweat from getting out of your body and onto your skin to cool you off.

Hey, weren't you just warning me about this stuff last week? We need a pact that establishes a "no run" window during the worst heat of the day.

miss petite america said...

holy crap. when it's 95 degrees the only things i do are submerge myself in a body of water or drive around with the AC on. definitely won't find me running!

maybe you can find someone to mist you with cool water while you run in that kind of heat :)

Bruce said...

If you're not punishing your self with a 3.00 am start its a midday run in 35 degree heat? I guess we cant always pick our times eh.

Addy said...

ack, be careful out there in that heat! As I'm moving down to southern california on friday for a month, I'll probably get to experience some of that wonderful heat sometime soon.

Addy

Love2Run said...

Ouch! Should come up here and try the nice air conditioned fog we have. 50F or 10C with a gentle cooling mist this am with Andrew. Be careful out there!

peter said...

I hate it when they change the model of your shoes. When I was in AZ in July on a business trip I got up at 4 am every day to run, and would come back drenched nonetheless. Helped me stay on East Coast time the entire trip though. Early to bed, early to rise. Still, rather 95 out there than 81 in DC and humid.

angie's pink fuzzy said...

yikes!

i'm late responding, but yesterday i ran 8 miles in 90 degree weather and i didn't puff up - i drank two servings of nuun beforehand, used crank e-gels throughout and at the halfway point, took three hammer endurolytes - all to keep my electrolytes (and swelling) in check. seemed to actually work. oh yeah, i also went slower than normal :)