Tuesday, May 22, 2007

A New Day

After a less than stellar weekend, I rolled out of bed this morning with some trepidation. I had another set of intervals to run, but I was starting to doubt my ability to get out and run the workout effectively. In addition, the standard pre-race jitters are starting up and I’ve self-diagnosis every possible condition that would keep me from running San Diego next week. I even convinced myself that the reason I bailed after 10 miles on Sunday morning was due to a severe case of anemia (nice try). Little wonder I pulled the covers over my head when the alarm went off at 5AM.

The morning actually went OK. The air temperature was around 78F and bone dry. In fact, it actually felt cool for the first couple of miles on the run over to the track. Once I arrived, I found 3 couples slowly jogging around the track; with two couples blocking the #1 and #2 lanes.

I blew by one couple on the first 600m and caught up to the second couple on the 200m recovery jog (in lane #5) around to the start line. Both couples got the hint and had vacated the #1 lane by the time I caught them again on the second interval. I even heard the hard footfalls and heavy breathing of one of them as they tried to catch me. Since I wasn’t racing, I dutifully moved over to let her pass on the inside. Fortunately for my frail ego, she burned out before getting around me and didn’t present another challenge. It’s always nice to have company at the track.

600m Splits: 2:32, 2:33, 2:35, 2:35, 2:33

Training for the week:

MON: Rest Day
TUE: 8.3 miles w/5x600m @6:52/mi pace

13 comments:

Ewen said...

Well done on the 600s Phil. Good pace. Next time you could try overtaking on the inside - that'll make them jump ;)

I was going to say the high temp on that Friday run reminded me of when we flew into Honolulu at midnight - the temp was about 30C.

Thomas said...

You mean it's always nice to have victims to chase, of course.

Rose said...

Hee hee - my favorite are the groups of gals all dressed up in running shoes and wicking gear for their "fast walks" around the track.

Addy said...

glad you had a good time out on the track :) I still have yet to do a track workout, so I don't know what are 'good' numbers, but those look quite consistent, so I'm guessing you hit your goal :)

Hard to believe the San Diego race is is a week and a half!

D said...

I would pull exactly what Ewen is recommending. They seem to get the hint pretty quickly. I'm glad the lady burned out quickly, although that is often the case when you get someone on the track that tries to race you! Nice job on your intervals!

J~Mom said...

Nice intervals!! We also enjoyed the cool air this morning but from the playground. :>)

Dusty said...

HAHA!! I can so relate. Nice to have the company... well, as long as you know that you can take them.

Don't psych yourself out. You can TOTALLY do this!! Remember - 90% mental, - work on that, you'll carry over any issues on your 10% - real or percieved. Besides - those new shoes are itching to wiz through a race!

Adama Anderson said...

I remember one day i ran 50 laps on a track here at Luke AFB, and there was a group that did PT on the track and I was in laps 30-40 and they were victims of me passing them. That's what I was thinking about when you were talking about the one girl trying to pass you but didn't.

Jamie said...

Smokin' interval times! Too funny about the would-be passer. My frail ego gets a big kick out of stuff like that also. :-)

Chad in the Arizona Desert said...

LOL! You just can't help yourself, can you. Always up for a race. Good just with the intervals.

Nicole said...

It seems like you run went well - well done.

Also, nice new shoes - I like the new color. I got my new asics today also in a new color but I love the change. I went from pink to ice blue!

ReneeMc said...

Severe anemia? That's gotta be it!

Bruce said...

Nice split times there Phil. Hey thanks for your comments this week. They were spot on. Inspiration does indeed come from reading of other 'every day peoples' experiences. Have fun in San Diego.