Thursday, May 10, 2007

A pretty good week

After all the bitching and complaining last week, this week has gone very well. I ran a nice aerobic 8 miler on Tuesday under 9:00/mi and a great (for me) set of 600m intervals on Wednesday on the track at PVCC; at an average pace of 6:51/mi. This morning I ran a simple 5 mile recovery run. It wasn’t anything to brag about, but I got it done.

I decided to run the intervals differently this time through the Pfitz plan. Last fall, I ran a 5 mile warm-up with my dog; dropped the dog off at home and drove 2.8 miles to the track, jogged 800m to get the blood moving again; ran the intervals; and finally, ran a 1600m cool down. This morning, I left the dog at home and ran 2.8 miles to track; ran 800m on the track surface to get psyched up for the intervals; ran the intervals and then ran 2.8 miles home.

This approached worked really well (at least for me, my dog was none-too-thrilled). I usually run a full 5K warm-up before running a 5K anyway. It helps to release the butter flies and gives me time to focus on running a heck of lot faster than normal. This morning was not different. I took off on the first 600m and clocked myself right on pace at 200M. I was able to hold the pace for the last 400m without too much effort; although I was breathing a lot harder than the other folks on the track. The entire set of 5x600s was pretty even:

2:34, 2:34, 2:33, 2:33, 2:31

My 22 year-old daughter is receiving her BS in Geography on Friday from the University of Arizona, so I’ll be driving down to Tucson on Friday with the family + a few close friends for the event. She will go back at school next semester to complete a certificate she wants, so the fire hose spurting cash out of my bank account won’t shut off for a while; but this is my first child to graduate from college, so it aught to be a great event. Mother’s day is on Sunday, so I don’t know what I’m going to do about my long run. I’ll just have to figure out how to fit it in on Saturday I guess; however, with a house full of martini loving guests, that might be difficult.


Have a great weekend.

Training for the week


MON: Rest day
TUE: 8.3 miles, Aerobic; 8:52/mi avg pace
WED: 8.7 miles, Aerobic w/5x600m @ 6:51/mi
THR: 5.2 miles, Recovery; 9:25/mi avg pace

9 comments:

Darrell said...

Nice job busting out the 600's. I wish I had your motivation.

A huge congrats on your daughter's graduation. I can completely relate to the fire hose of cash.

Bruce said...

that's a good week, I hope you can fit that long run in.

Ewen said...

Congrats to your daughter Phil. You could set the alarm for some ridiculously early time and head out in the dark.

Well done with the 600s. That's 4:15/km pace ;) Good speed and plan for the session. The dog deserves a rest day.

Dusty said...

Nice week and great job on the 600's.

Congratulations to your daughter!

Sempre Libera said...

Nice job with those intervals! I can see why this approach worked better.

And congratulations to your daughter and your family!

Deene said...

good going! Congrats to your daughter. enjoy the martinis.

Gotta Run said...

Will look forward to the report on the long run. Will it happen? I would bet that you will find a way.

You rocked the intervals.

Randy said...

I applaud your efforts on the intervals, that is great. Those little rewards sometimes can taste so good. Enjoy the weekend and be very proud.

J~Mom said...

Great job on the intervals! I hope the weekend is going great! Congrats to your daughter on her degree. Too bad she picked U of A (j/k from a sun devil).