Friday, May 04, 2007

Sexist Pig

Way back before the dawn of civilization when I attended engineering school (in the early 70s) there was nary a woman in site (of course I was dating one of the few women in the school, but that’s another story). Engineering was clearly a “man’s” game. The company I worked for after graduation had no female engineers (of course, I met my wife there, but that’s another story also). I moved to Arizona in 1980 and went to work for a different company. Out of a group of 30 engineers, there were only 3 women and two of them were gone before 1982. The only other female engineer I knew in the company was the only woman working on a product that went by the acronym PMS … it was still a man’s world. Fortunately, over the next 25 years, more and more women got into the game. Today, the same company has women in senior technical management positions as well a grunt level engineering roles and everything in-between. We’ve made some progress.

So, imagine my surprise this morning when I opened an industry publication and found the following full page add. Now you don’t need to know anything about C++ or RTOS Environments or anything else mentioned in this add to figure out the message. I half expected to find a scantly dress women with huge boobs and a short skirt on the next page holding a Tektronix 70 GHz Digital Sampling Oscilloscope (there wasn’t … oh well). Maybe we haven’t come as far as I thought.

 
Posted by Picasa


Running: Yes this is still a running blog. Thursday I took another 6 mile recovery run. Nothing out of the ordinary happened. I’m still trying to figure out what I’m going to do this weekend. I had a 12 miler at MP due on Sunday, but I sort of did that on Wednesday when I ran my 14 miler under 9:00/mi. I’ll just play it by ear.

Hope you all have a great weekend.

TRAINING FOR THE WEEK:

MON: Rest Day
TUE: 6.3 Miles, Recovery; 9:13/mi avg pace
WED: 14.1 Miles, Medium-Long; 8:58/mi avg pace
THR: 6.0 Miles, Recover; 9:19/mi avg pace
FRI: Rest Day

20 comments:

Ewen said...

That's giving pigs a bad name.

Having a great weekend down here Phil. Bonza weather, as some of my mates would say.

Anne said...

I went to an engineering school when there was the big push to get more women into programs. This is sad to see, but somehow not surprising.

angie's pink fuzzy said...

wow

i'm glad that women have come far in the engineering world. there are many projects i work on where the entire project team is made up of women! (i do community outreach for transportation projects)

StumbleGuy said...

Can you imagine the brief to the ad agency on this one. "We want to alienate a large proportion of our customer base with a really amateur looking full page spread. Got that?". Actually I bet the budget was spent on the Plazma telly and a spotty junior knocked the rest up as a Powerpoint slide.

Have a good run this weekend.

Andy

Feminist Runner said...

Wow, I don't understand enough about engineering to know what that ad's about, but I know it ain't unoffensive!

Running schmunning. Sometimes life is more fun to talk about.

Gotta Run said...

One can only hope that the ad agency has HUGE regrets about their ad. unreal.

Changes to any plan happens and I would bet that whatever distance you run will be a great one.

Rose said...

Amazing how pervasive this kind of message still is. But we've come a long way - at least people recognize it as offensive!

Happy running this weekend.

Chad in the Arizona Desert said...

One big flaw in their advertising is your choice might depend heavily on how hungery you happen to be.

miss petite america said...

wtf!!

wow. u were in college before i was even born!

don't worry, people can say that to me too :)

Dusty said...

I guess the advertisers also believe that men will be reading the magazines...

Hope your run tomorrow goes well.

Jamie said...

Good week of training. I'm not going to claim to be the most politically correct person on the planet, but I agree, that ad is pretty pathetic. It wasn't even that clever, not to mention offensive.

DawnB said...

I'm really not sure what to make of this. I don't think that should happen in todays world but alot of things happens that really should'nt .

Nice going this week!!!

olga said...

I am with Dusty - the readers are all men?

Sub said...

Progress is being made but it probably will never get to parity... When I went to Engineering school in the 2000s there were quite a few females. Now at work too there are quite a few but guys still out number them!

Just like we're seeing more male nurses now but we might never get to parity there either.

I envy your problem - getting in your MP long run done early. I usually end up sweating over them.

Yvonne said...

this reminds me of a snippet in an article in a running magazine that my mum showed me, just 10 or so years ago...

Q: Why do women run?
A: Who cares? It gives us men something good to look at...

um, HUH?

Deene said...

stupid ad agency!
have a great week.

Sempre Libera said...

Not only is it sexist, but whoever art directed that should take another day job. This is awful on pretty much every level.

aggie jogger '77 said...

Wow Phil - you stirred things up with that one. That advertising company must have been having a hari-kari day when they thought that one up.

As for changes, they do happen, you seem to be able to adapt to change very well. I'm sure something will give you reason to run this weekend. We could send some of our rain and storms your way if you would like.

~concrete angel~ said...

Phil,

Thanks for your comments on my blog!

You are smart to notice that all is still not equal in the engineering world. So many men are fair, nice guys, but don't see problems women still face in the engineering realm.

I'm a female engineer myself. On the most part, I'm treated reasonably well -- or at least not worse than the men (i.e. in some cases we're all treated poorly). However, I know i've run into a few cases were raising my voice - not typical for me as I'm very laid back - is seen by some men as a sign of being "overly emotional". Should a man raise his voice, it's "standing up for himself". Again, most men do NOT act this way, but several in management still do.

On my 35th birthday my boss asked if I were getting my boobs x-rayed (he meant mammogram) as I was "getting old"...but, he tells me I look better than "most of the cows my age". Nice.

J~Mom said...

Ugh...that is just wrong.

Nice training week!