Sunday, May 27, 2007

Somerset

Thanks for all the well wishes for my marathon next week. I appreciate your input. The only issue I have is a severe pain in my lower abdomen that is really slowing me down for the first couple of miles of every run recently until the area warms up. I can’t do any sit ups, but I’ve never like to do sit ups anyway. It should be OK for the San Diego marathon once I get it warmed up. I won’t have a chance to get this checked out until I get back from San Diego, but I could always use any advice that any of you might have.

I’m in Somerset, New Jersey this weekend for the PDA College Showcase Soccer Tournament. We are, to say the least, getting spanked. We arrived in Newark at mid-night on Friday and didn’t get to our hotel in Somerset until 2AM. Our first game on Saturday was at 8AM, so we had to be at the field at Rutgers University by 7AM. So far, we’ve lost 2-0, 3-0 and 4-0. We’ve got one more game on Monday morning and should do better now that the girls are getting over the jet lag.

So far I’ve had two runs in New Jersey; an easy 4 mile recovery run on Saturday and a 13 miler on Sunday morning. Just as Arizona is a misunderstood state to many easterners, New Jersey is nothing like what I’ve expected. It’s really pretty. Although a little on the humid side, this area of the state near Rutgers University is very nice. I set out this morning for a 13 miler and really enjoyed running down the tree lined streets, listening to the birds chirping as the sun came up over the horizon. At one point, I came upon a deer standing on the road. I spooked the thing and it high-tailed it into the woods immediately off the road. I took the picture to the left after I got back to the hotel after 13 miles. I left my dry-weave tops at home in my haste to get out of Phoenix, so I was running in a cotton shirt. It was completely drenched by the time I got back to the hotel and probably weighed 2 or 3 pounds with all the water.

I’m off to Manhattan on Monday night and hope to get in at least one run around Central Park while I’m there. I realize that running the loop around Central Park is almost a cliché, but it is something I really enjoyed the last time I was in New York and I’m in much better shape now. However, everyone I’m going with thinks that I’m nuts. I need to start bringing a few runners with me when I travel.

Hope your week is goes great.

TRAINING FOR THE WEEK:

MON: Rest Day
TUE: 8.3 miles w/5x600m @6:52/mi pace
WED: 5.3 miles, recovery; 9:14/mi avg pace
THR: Rest Day
FRI: 8K, pseudo-race; 7:32/mi avg pace
SAT: 4.1 miles, recovery; 9:03/mi avg pace
SUN: 13.1 miles, medium-long; 9:35/mi avg pace

Total mileage for the week: 36.7 miles

15 comments:

Jim said...

Not sure if you're checking your comments while you're out of town but I wish you the best of luck with the race. Hopefully the lower abdomen thing won't be a hindrance. By all means, go see what the problem is as soon as possible.

Chad in the Arizona Desert said...

Hope the abdomen comes around and good luck in the marathon.

Wow, you sure do get around for soccer, huh? Of the million sports I've played, I have never played that one. It just didn't exist in Western PA when I was in school. I hope you are enjoying NJ.

J~Mom said...

I hope your abdomen feels better soon. I have no ideas on that one...maybe the running doc blogger can help.

Glad you are enjoying the vacation...take some pics in central park for those of us stuck in the desert!

miss petite america said...

ooh have fun on your loop around central park. i didn't get a chance to do it when i visited.something about forgetting to pack a crucial piece of running gear.

i'm no doctor, but i'll be sending out feel good vibes your way!

Jamie said...

New Jersey, aka the Armpit of America. But yes, the area you're in isn't that bad (I used to live in Bergen County, NE most part of the state next to NYC). Enjoy the stay and looking forward to hearing how the marathon goes. Kick some butt!

Dusty said...

You are going to do so great in this race!!!!

Did you eat something wrong? Is it just a stich (yes, I said just - and it is ANYTHING but when you get one) - if so, I've always been told to rub it upwards towards your heart and that it is just your organs getting a bit shuffled around as they get used to the pounding. not sure if it is true, but for all issues, I've always learned to rub towards your heart.

Hope this helps - you'll do GREAT!!

Nicole said...

Have fun in Central Park.
I wish i had advice about your pain but I don't - hope it goes away.

Anne said...

I love doing the loops in Central Park -- and the bridal path. Hope you get to tackle both on one of your last runs before San Diego. And congratulations on the 8k. Now, can you keep that up for another 21 miles?!

ReneeMc said...

I think the reservoir is a little more cliché! Hope your abdomen recovers and you enjoy your vacation!

stephruns said...

I hope that abdominal pain is not too bad. I had pulled my psoas prior to my first marathon - not that I want to scare you or anything - just be careful and take care of it :-)

Sub said...

Just wanted to wish you luck for Sunday... I hope your abs hold up.

There are parts of NJ that aren't so beautiful :)

Ewen said...

It doesn't sound running related - worth getting checked out when you get home though - could be just a muscle strain.

From the Springsteen songs I imagined it to be a bit bleak - 'Early north Jersey industrial skyline... I'm running late, this New Jersey in the mornin' like a lunar landscape'.

That's the beauty of visiting a place for yourself.

Nil-all sounds like a good result for your last game!

Laufenweg said...

hi! just wondering if your abdomen pain started when you got new shoes? maybe your stride and/or posture is different and you're getting a stitch from that?

Vince A. said...

I have had the exact same symptoms couple times in the past year, I imagined it to a weight lifting strain or from working in the yard or a hernia or impending death but then it went away on its own like most other pains - so ignore it!

Gotta Run said...

Running in a cotton tee would be hard and hot!! Makes you look forward to getting back into your normal running clothes.

Not sure about your abdomen pain but I would have it checked out as soon as you can next week. I will cross my fingers for you for the race!!!