Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Tempo

My longest tempo run of the Pfitz plan was this morning: 12 miles w / 7 @ 15K pace. When I was preparing for the Carlsbad Marathon in November last year, I absolutely nailed this workout with an average pace over the 7 miles around 7:40/mi and that was my goal as I set out this morning for the 2.8 mile run over to the track at Paradise Valley Community College.

I like running the tempo part of this work-out on a track. I get to see my splits every 400m and the surface is far more forgiving than running on asphalt or concrete. The sun was just peaking over the horizon as I got to the track and the temperature was already hovering just under 80F (27C). My pace was solid for the first 400m and I crossed the line at 1:55; right on target for a 7:40 1600m. But with 27 laps to go, I quickly realized that this pace was a little fast and pulled up. Regardless, the first 5 miles went by really well, but my left hamstring started complaining on mile 6 and I must have slowed down some more without thinking to give it a rest. By the time I got out to mile 7, I was out of gas and really had to push hard over the last 200m to come close to my goal time.

1600m splits: 7:43, 7:45, 7:45, 7:45, 7:41, 7:52, 7:48

Hope your week is going well.

TRAINING FOR THE WEEK:

MON: Rest Day
TUE: 6.1 miles, Recovery; 9:07/mi avg pace
WED: 12.7 miles w/7@7:48/mi

15 comments:

Thomas said...

Good workout, the tempo pace looks pretty much spot on.

Ewen said...

Got to admit Phil, I had to convert that to English. 4:51/km average pace - that's damn good. Well done!

Dusty said...

Great splits!

Not sure how I missed the pictures on the last post, but they are great - you have a beautiful family.

miss petite america said...

wow. 7 miles on a track? i would have gotten dizzy. especialy as fast as you were going!!

Nicole said...

Thank you so much for your kind words on my blog. It was so kind of you to think of me and my mom on mother's day. You're right it is hard day but a great day to remember our moms.

Also, I can't believe I inspired someone to go veg - I think that is awesome.

Thank you for all your comments I really do see you as my adopted running coach and you are a great inspirations to me always.

happy running.

Gotta Run said...

You continue to impress me!!! Still have no idea how you can wrap your mind around track miles. Very good!!

J~Mom said...

Holy cow, Phil! Great splits!! I am not only in awe of your times but that you ran that much on a track! Great job!

Rose said...

Wow, that's fantastic. And getting up (without the alarm!) at 2:45 a.m last Sunday . . .

Also, congrats to your daughter on her graduation, and to you for raising three lovely and talented young women!

jen said...

Great tempo workout, Phil. I think those particular workouts are the key to the Pfitz program. Ok, well it's all key, but the tempo sessions especially! You did fantastic, very cool. :)

Randy said...

Great splits Phil, you run so consistently all the time and in those hotter temps too....I don't see how you folks in the Phoenix area can do it.

I've just about decided that I'm going to be ok running the 2 5k's on Saturday...one at 8 am and another at 5:30 and I will just run them not looking for any kind of PR...I'm excited the most about the second because Bonnie will be running with me and we get free baseball tickets for finishing that race, should be a nice evening to relax afterwards. The leg is holding up good so far this week.

Chad in the Arizona Desert said...

Great job with the run. Even though you might not have hit it just the way you wanted, you still did what you need to for your goal.

Michele said...

Wow, great run.
7 miles on the track, that alone is impressive. Pace just makes it that much more impressive.

Addy said...

Awesome job on those tempo runs! That's an aspect of running I have yet to dive into, but I'm sure it'll really help your training. Congrats on coming so close to your goal on this run

Banking Miles said...

nice. running 28 laps around a track is a challenge in itself - the pretty close splits are a great job on top of that.

Mike said...

Nice workout Phil. I still think you peaked a bit early for Carlsbad, so maybe this means you are still on the way up...as it should be.