Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Wedding Bells

 My family and I attended a very small, very informal wedding this afternoon. A close friend of ours got married in her back yard with a few friends and family members as guests. Since it was a second marriage for both her and her new husband and both had done the big splashy formal wedding thing on the first go-around, they elected to hold the anti-wedding wedding. No pomp, no circumstance, no music, no flowers, no brides-maids, no wedding shower, no gifts, no bachelor or bachelorette parties, no church, no limos and no catered reception. In fact the only homage to a “traditional” wedding they allowed was a small wedding cake. The picture to the left is of my 19 year-old daughter and me. In nearly every picture I have of her, she is flipping me off; so much so that it has become a tradition. I don’t know if she’ll think it’s as funny in 30 years when she’s sharing these pictures with her kids, but for now she thinks it’s a hoot.

Running: I mistakenly set my alarm for 4:30 instead of 4:00 AM this morning for a little pre-work 14 miler which didn’t leave me much time to get ready for work and get my 15 year-old daughter to high-school on time after the run. Fortunately, I was able to hold pretty close to 9/mi all the way. I was actually quite surprised when I was only 40 seconds over a 9/mi pace at 7 miles. I knew I’d started out slow and didn’t think I was catching up that quick. This is a much different result than my 10-mile non-long-run on Sunday.

Mile splits, for those that like to see the numbers:

Miles 1 through 7: 9:07, 9:19, 9:06, 9:11, 8:49, 9:07, 8:58
Miles 7 through 14: 9:08, 8:47, 9:01, 8:45, 8:49, 8:44, 8:38

My legs felt heavy by the last few miles as I kept pushing the pace up to get the entire run average under 9/mi.I kept in my aerobic zone for the entire run, except for the last half mile where I was “sprinting” up hill. The ball of my left foot ached most of the morning and I was able to get it iced down this morning before I to leave and take my youngest to school. Thanks god I only have a 6 miler on Thursday.

Hope all is well with each and everyone of you,

TRAINING FOR THE WEEK:

MON: Rest Day
TUE: 6.3 Miles, Recovery; 9:13/mi avg pace
WED: 14.1 Miles, Medium-Long; 8:58/mi avg pace

Posted by Picasa

14 comments:

Bruce said...

thanks for the comments Phil, I like your attitude of running through the numbness. Maybe that's something I need to learn. Mine does get pretty uncomfortable though and running through it is something I cant imagine doing right now. Like you I think its something to do with a nerve being constricted. I'll see a podiatrist and see what they think! Nice photo!

Ewen said...

That's a pleasing run after the 20 attempt on Sunday. Nice negative split.

Sorry about your daughter's soccer team losing the last match. Still, #3 in the state is a good result. Sounds like the coach needs some coaching ;)

Gotta Run said...

The "finger".... sweet :)!! I gave someone the finger a year ago while driving. I laughed at myself and so did the person I flipped off.

angie's pink fuzzy said...

great job on the run!

and the anti-wedding wedding, how cool!

Dusty said...

Nice run and awesome job on the pace! Sounds like a good time at the anti-wedding.

Yvonne said...

have u mentioned your concerns about the flipping off to your daughter? or can 19 year olds not see that far into the future? i forget...

nice running. i feel like such a lazy slug in comparison...

miss petite america said...

you're one chill dad to let your daughter flip you off like that.

that would SOOOO not fly with my dad. not even now.

DawnB said...

and I was thinking you didn't notice!!!

Mike said...

I remember Garrison Keillor doing a bit on Prairie Home Companion where they were mocking the Hummer. The driver of one was calling the gesture that all the motorists were giving him the "half a piece sign".

Nice 14 miler, we could all use more of those.

J~Mom said...

Awww...she is so cute. Yeah, those things do come back to haunt us when we have our own kids though. Great job on your run!

Addy said...

great run in! And it sounds like that anti-wedding was lots of fun :)

I second what other people said though. No way would that fly with my dad!!

Love2Run said...

Good work trying to stay with the program Phil. It seems to be coming up fast now isn't it? Your daughter has a nice smile so I'd let her go too ;-)

Michelle said...

Awwww, that sounds like it was a sweet wedding. LOL at your daughter flipping you off!! :-)

Great job on the run. Nice that you saved the fastest mile for last! Awesome!

Anne said...

I better not let my daughters, both around that age, see this picture or they'll decide it's a hoot too. (Well, it is...but introducing it now might give my future grandchildren the wrong impression.)