Monday, May 07, 2007

Wide Open Spaces

I learned (or relearned) a couple of life’s little lessons on Sunday. First, if you have enough money you can afford to live in the city and not live in the city at the same time. My daughter’s soccer team had their “end of year” party on Sunday afternoon. One of the parents that hadn’t volunteered for anything all year asked me if they could host the party (like I’m going to say no). I took the picture to the left from their back yard near sun-set. It’s hard to believe that more than 2 million people live within 30 miles of this place.

The second important lesson was more basic. If you stay on your feet from 5:30PM until 11:30PM working a funding raising event and then go out for a martini at mid-night, you will not be able to get out of bed at 4:00AM for a 20miler. My wife works for a small non-profit foundation and their big fund raiser was held at the Penske Auto Museum on Saturday night. We shut the place down at 11:30 and then cruised north Scottsdale looking for a bar that would be able to make her a chocolate martini (I had a basic vodka martini … don’t like the sweet stuff). It was past 1:30 by the time I finally got to bed and I could hardly move when my alarm went off at 4:00 AM. I reset it for 8:30 and snuck in a nice and easy 6 miler instead.

Since I'd promised a friend that I'd take pictures for her local "National Charity League" chapter event at 10:30, 6 miles was about all I could get in and still have time to clean up and make it to the event on time. I've got no direct connection with these folks, but they seem to like my pictures and this is the 3rd year that I've taken their Mother-Daughter pictures. The 64 portraits I took are located here.

What started out as a great week went out with a whimper. I did get in a nice 14 mile MP run on Wednesday and a respectable 6 miler on Saturday, but the rest of the week I spent jogging around the neighborhood. I still haven’t run anything over 17 miles with only 4 weeks to go until the San Diego Marathon. Oh well, I’ll may not PR, but it should still be fun.

While I was off wasting my time wallowing in self-pity, my blogging friends were racing their hearts out. First, two great half-marathon performances. RunningDoc won a local half marathon is a blistering 1:13:56 and Thomas (as you'd expect) layed down another PR with a 1:29:52. Finally, Micki ran her first 10K and finished under her goal time in 1:13:28. All three wrote great race reports.

TRAINING FOR THE WEEK:
MON: Rest Day
TUE: 6.3 Miles, Recovery; 9:13/mi avg pace
WED: 14.1 Miles, Medium-Long; 8:58/mi avg pace
THR: 6.0 Miles, Recovery; 9:19/mi avg pace
FRI: Rest Day
SAT: 6.3 Miles, Aerobic; 8:33/mi avg pace
SUN: 6.3 Miles, Aerobic; 9:21/mi avg pace

Total Mileage for the week: 39 Miles (yikes)

14 comments:

Ewen said...

That's a great backyard view! Fantastic to be so close to wilderness. We have 400,000 living close to 'the bush', so quite similar.

You've done a good job with the portraits. There's still time to get in one or two long ones before San Diego. Don't panic yet ;)

Thomas said...

Nice view indeed.

Dusty said...

Sounds like a fun time tho -- it is rare that I read you blogging that you slept in. You have a strong base - don't mentally give up on getting a PR - most of this stuff is mental. Looking forward to virtually cheering you on in San Diego!

Gotta Run said...

Chocolate Martini... love them!! best one I have ever had was in Chicago.

Just being on your feet for that many hours can be hard on your feet not to mention lack of rest. I think you made the right call.

Chad in the Arizona Desert said...

What do you mean you couldn't get out and do 20 miles on 2 1/2 hours sleep? I don't get it...

You never know, the lower training mileage might leave you fresh for San Diego. Only one way to find out...

J~Mom said...

Smart decision on scrapping your longer run after that night. If it was me I probably would have tried and failed and cried in my soup.

Your pictures look great that you took.

Addy said...

Quite a beautiful picture.

I've also not run more than 17 miles so far w/ San Diego looming (though I've done long ones on trails w/ lots of walking) so SD will definitely be interesting :)

I might try to run 20 the weekend after next and just pretend the marathon is a training run.

When are you going to start your taper?

Darrell said...

You do still have time to sneak in that one last 20 miler. Either way, I have a feeling you enjoy San Diego anyway.

Mike said...

Well, you won't be going in overtrained, which in my book is a good thing. I'm not used to being on me feet for very long either, so when I am I definitely feel it the next day.

Darrell is right about having time for one more long one though!

angie's pink fuzzy said...

nice view - and nice portraits, too!

stephruns said...

I am amused about your writing! Partying and runnign doesn't work for me either;-)

DawnB said...

sorry you din't get your 20 miler in on Sunday Phil but if I know you I'm sure you'll get it done!!

Anne said...

I can see why you keep getting asked to do the portraits. Everyone looks fabulous in those photos.

Another running blogger asked me to help coordinate a RBF pasta lunch the day before the race. I know of only three people doing it this year, one being you. Are you interested? Know anyone else I should invite? I'll recruit some locals to fill out the family-sized tables :-).

olga said...

I really like cacti forest when I visited, especially the amused me the first time!