Thursday, June 28, 2007

3peat

Three times is a charm (or close to a charm). Temperature was a little hotter on Wednesday afternoon, 109F (43C) and I started an hour earlier than Monday and Tuesday, so the sun was beating down on me nearly all the way around the hill. Although I felt as if I was dragging up each of the 3 major hills, I got around the 3 mile loop 30 seconds faster than Tuesday. Embolden by the improved performance, I set out for a second loop. However, less than a quarter mile into the second loop, the combined effect of high temperatures and 3 consecutive hill runs took its toll; my legs were getting real wobbly and that's a bad feeling. My quads were shot and HR racing, so I bagged the second lap for another day and walked back to my car

 

By providence, this turned out to be the right decision. When I got home, my daughters asked if I wanted to go out to dinner and were willing to wait until I cooled down and cleaned up. I was totally shocked after we finished dinner when my 19 year-old pulled out her debit card and paid for the meal. This is the first time any of my kids has ever sprung for a check. Amazing. I was so amazed that I treated them to a movie (Even Almighty) after dinner.

 

Hope all is going well.

14 comments:

Gotta Run said...

Dinner and a movie. How nice!!! To be treated for dinner was super sweet. I look forward to that day until then I will keep watching our two boys eat us out of house and home :-).

carmen said...

That sounds like a very wonderful evening...what an awesome father you are.

Next time, you'll get that second round! I felt my body temp rise just reading this entry since you're able to run during that time of day!

miss petite america said...

i always get a big kick out of treating my parents. now it's a fight when the bill comes because they feel like i pay too often! enjoy the treats, you deserve it!

Jamie said...

Your daughter's actions are no doubt a result of great parenting! I'm still amazed at how you guys can run in that kind of heat.

Love2Run said...

Ditto what Jamie says. My oldest son, now 25 has surprised me a couple of times now but still waiting for the 'poor' daughter to come forward ;-) It really does reflect well on you 'Dad'. Good work!

Bruce said...

Hope the backs coming right soon. Running in those temperatures must be tough, I suppose it will only be getting hotter too.

Nicole said...

Sounds like a good day.

Deene said...

that's cute of your daughter. was the movies good?
i can't imagine trying to move in that heat.

stephruns said...

Sounds like you did a good job raising your kids!

Chad in the Arizona Desert said...

Great job with the trail runs in that heat. After 3 miles last night I was absolutely baked, and that was on flat pavement. I hope your back is coming around for you.

J~Mom said...

Great job with the trails!! You are much braver then me to get out in the heat of the day like that! Dinner and movie sound great!!

Sempre Libera said...

Glad to see you're hitting the trails again. I can't believe those temperatures, though - hats off to you for putting in any miles at all!

Laufenweg said...

how lovely that your daughter took you to supper. :-)

glad to see your back is better!! flying is really hard on the bod.

DawnB said...

what a wonderful surprise!!!