Monday, June 25, 2007

Hitting the Trail

After a week nursing a sore back, I reached my breaking point this afternoon. Despite temperatures hovering around 108F (42C), I just had to get out and run. My back was still sore, but the feeling of my legs slowly atrophying was much worse. Knowing full well that I’d just go out and screw up my back big-time if I tried running a road course, I elected to run a 3 mile loop around Lookout Mountain instead (see picture I jacked off another site to the left). This is a rocky trail is tough enough to keep the pace slow and I further slowed things down by only jogging the up hills and the flats and walking down the steep sections.

Strategy worked. I kept the average pace to something close to 14/mi and my average HR at 145 (with excursions as high as 170 jogging up hill). Damn, it felt good to be out and moving again. I’ll let you know if I’m as gleeful tomorrow morning.

Thanks for all your positive comments this past week while I haven’t been blogging. I don’t really have much to say when I’m not running.

Have a great week.

10 comments:

Thomas said...

Your urges must have been really bad if you went out with a sore back and 108F degrees!

Darrell said...

"Damn, it felt good to be out and moving again." hallelujah!

I'm happy to read that you were able to get outside for a bit. I'm hoping your still gleeful this morning.

Addy said...

wow...108?!?! You're awesome. Glad you got out there for a little bit and took it easy (well, as easy as you can take it in that kind of heat!)

J~Mom said...

I am so glad you could get out for a while!! I bet it felt awesome!! Take it easy!!

Gotta Run said...

I will try and not write a book on trail running…

Thrilled that you hit the trails!! It is completely different from road running for several reasons. Pace is the first difference and will often times be slower than a pace you can maintain on any road. Also I run all flat and rolling hills. Any steep hills I walk at a fast pace as to conserve energy for longer distances. The trail events or even trail running is all about endurance and survival. That is what I love most about the sport. I have never enjoyed road marathons where I felt driven by the finish clock. Recovery is also much faster and joint friendly. We all need a little of this.

Hope that you find a love in it as I have. So glad to hear that you are moving again period!! It can be so hard to be still when all you want to do is RUN!!

Lana said...

Wow - that is some serious heat! Take care of yourself out there and have fun!

StumbleGuy said...

I so know how you feel about wanting to get back out there. It would be swimming for me over here at the moment though - lots of rain! I can't imagine 42C - the UK starts to fall apart at anything over 30C!

Hope all is well when you get up tomorrow.

Andy

Jamie said...

108?!?!?!? Wow!!! That's, like, hot and stuff.

Glad the trail run worked out well and you were able to get your HR up. Best wishes in your continuing rebound.

Pat said...

sounds like a fun run. Everyone needs a break from blogging from time to time. Thanks for the help on my blog.

pat

Anne said...

The trails around me also are rock-strewn, and I spend my time trying to avoid a face plant. I'm glad the rest paid off but I can't believe you averaged even 14-min miles in that heat.