Friday, June 22, 2007

Home Alone

After traveling to Somerset New Jersey, Manhattan, San Diego, Toulouse and Macon Georgia over the past 3 weeks, I just couldn't face another trip. This weekend, my wife is in Manhattan Beach, California; my two oldest daughters are in Hartford, Connecticut; my youngest daughter is at another soccer tournament in San Bernardino, California; and I'm home - alone; nursing my sore back. I know I need to get back on the road soon, but I think I'll stay in town one more week and not try another plane ride until my back is 100%

Non running related injuries suck. Like many of you, I've suffered through my share of running related problems; wearing them like a badge of courage. But screwing up my back last week on the plane ride from Paris to Atlanta was something altogether different. Although my back is feeling better by the day and today, for the first time in a week, I was able walk up-right without that tell-tale Cro-Magnon lurch, the damn thing still hurts too much to run on; so here I sit and bitch. But as that obnoxious little twirp in Annie sang over and over ...

The sun'll come out tomorrow,
So ya gotta hang on 'til tomorrow,
Come what may
Tomorrow, tomorrow, I love ya tomorrow
You're always a day away

Have a great weekend.

12 comments:

miss petite america said...

have some ice cream. that'll make you feel better. or pull a tom cruise and dance around the house in your underwear while the girls are gone. oh wait, maybe dancing is out...go for the ice cream then.

StumbleGuy said...

My daughter was in Annie as a stage play and it changed my whole perspective on the songs!

Back problems really are the worst, especially as staying still doesn't help improve matters and you have to live with the pain and posture in everything you do. I feel for you!

Hope things improve real soon.

Andy

angie's pink fuzzy said...

omg, "the obnoxious little twerp" - you have me laughing so hard.

sorry about your back; hope it gets better sooner rather than later.

david said...

Too much air travel can really mess up your back...just think of it as forced marathon recovery.

Jamie said...

I like Miss Petite America's advice. Even tough I'm not injured, I'm still going to follow her words of wisdom.

Addy said...

hope you feel better soon! I hurt my back a few months ago in some mysterious way (no idea on the cause, but suddenly I couldn't stand or even sit really without pain). Luckily it was okay within a week. Back injuries are the worst though, and I hope yours heals up really quickly

J~Mom said...

I hope your back feels better soon! There is nothing worse then not being able to run when you want to. Ok, well there are a few things worse but sometimes it feels like it's pretty bad.

Ewen said...

Thanks Phil. I did have a great weekend... The sun came out in winter. 13C, a cloudless blue sky, the barest ripple on the lake. A stunning day. What more could you ask for?

Well, to be able to run. Hope you're back into it soon.

ReneeMc said...

Back injuries are so challenging, especially because they are most frequently cause by something like what happened to you -- feel better and nurse it well.

stephruns said...

It’s always easiest to turn to bad into the good. Sounds like you really have to treat yourself a bit and just take it easy until you feel better. World traveling is definitely a great sport.

Anne said...

I think the only thing worse than a back injury is a "bum" one. I'm still having trouble just sitting or driving across town since injuring mine. I'm also amazed at how many miles you seem to routinely log by air or car. Very impressive for a guy that's now regularly running marathons.

Deene said...

maybe it's just your body's way of telling you to be still, eat ice cream and read a book.