Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Inflexible

My lack of flexibility finally caught up with me. Although I set up an objective to work on flexibility this year, I haven’t stuck to anything so far and it caught up with me on the flight from Paris to Atlanta this past Friday. I fell asleep shortly after passing over Newfoundland and must have got myself in a awkward position. Although I felt OK when I got off the plane, 3 hours later I was pitched over in pain and shuffling along.

After spending a great weekend with my dad in Macon, I flew back to Phoenix on Monday morning and got myself a much needed massage. I walked in hunched over and walked out upright. My back is still hurting today, but I expect to start running again by the weekend.

Hope your week is going well

Random photos from Macon, Georgia

I spent the weekend drinking sweet tea and cheap beer and visiting relatives in my home town of Macon, Georgia. I don't want to turn this blog into a travel log, but I did take a few photos before my ailing camera finally failed completely on Sunday afternoon.



Street in front of my father's house. This street stretches for a mile into the fog of a humid Saturday morning.



The Ocmulgee River behind one of my relative's house. This river was navigatable in the late 19th century.




This lab will retrieve anything from the river, including a 5 gallon water jug loaded with 20 lbs of water.



The same dog diving to pick up a smaller bottle off the bottom of the river.



And swiming underwater looking for the bottle. I've never seen a dog swim underwater.

19 comments:

J~Mom said...

Sounds like a nice weekend...sorry you got sore. Keep stretching!

I think most of us like the travel pics! Especially me who never ventures out of Arizona!

miss petite america said...

rivers scare me.

but massages? those are the best.

what are you plans now that san diego is done and done?

olga said...

Loved pics of the dog swimming:) as well as massages, when done well!

Amy said...

Ummm...loved the pics...can't pick out the street though.

But for real! Haven't you ever heard of an RBF meet-up? Even for a small run or something!!! I'll forgive you this time but next time, give a blogger a shout!

Glad you had a great time with your family!

jen said...

More great pics, thanks for sharing! Glad you got that massage, sounds like you needed it. Welcome back! :)

Jamie said...

What a cool dog! Welcome back home. Hope the kinks continue to work themselves out.

Ewen said...

Cheap beer! Life is too short to be drinking cheap beer Phil. That's one bitumen road I'd like to run down.

That lab must be related to the Platypus!

I hope your back settles down in time for a good run on the weekend.

Dusty said...

Massages can do amazing things! Glad you are feeling better.

Macon looks so peaceful. I heard they have a team there called the Woopie. Is that true? Hilarious if so.

Laufenweg said...

wow! sorry about the Plane-Back. i myself have Plane-Neck after my last trans-atlantic flight on tuesday. ugh. i'm catching a plane this afternoon to go on down south - to north florida. i enjoyed your photos of macon, the river and the dog. the BIGGEST CATFISH i ever caught was in my great uncle's pond in forsyth (Big Daddy's Pond) it was a monster - and yeah, he used to stock it. :-p

when we were kids, we had a pit-bull/lab mix that used to love to swim underwater in the saint mark's river, in wakulla county, florida. good times!

miz nina the french fox terrier is arriving in the US on july 1 - i can't see her jumping into the water. it might mess up her hair. oh lala

ReneeMc said...

You evolved just during a massage. Nice pics; that dog is unbelievable.
And welcome home!

Gotta Run said...

All of your traveling would have to play havoc on your back at some point. Planes, hotel beds.... it is enough to make even my back hurt.

What a cool dog!!! Enjoyed the photos.

Nicole said...

It seems like a great trip. I love the dog pictures!

Better start stretching.

Sempre Libera said...

Definitely keep the pictures coming - they're great!

Deene said...

glad to hear of your travels. i always wanted to know what sweet tea was.

Chad in the Arizona Desert said...

Labs will out-swim just about anything short of a fish. They are great dogs.

Glad to hear that your back it coming around.

Anne said...

Great photos from your trip[s], especially the canal shot from your Parisian run. That Macon-based lab is quite the retriever!

DawnB said...

sounds like you had a great visit with your dad!! beautiful place the photos are great!! whan an incredible dog!! hope you're feeling better now

Bruce said...

Sorry bout the back, sounds like the massage did the trick, hope you get a good run in this weekend.

Josh said...

underwater swimming dogs! Thats a good trick...

Sorry to hear about your back. Hope you bounce back quickly.