Wednesday, June 06, 2007

My Muse

I think that I found my muse. In my San Diego Marathon race report, I mentioned that a women latched onto my right shoulder just when I needed a little extra help to get me back on pace. We ran together, not speaking, for a couple of miles and then I lost sight of her.

Last night when I was scanning through the results for other Arizona runners to see if any other ARR club members were racing this weekend that I might have missed, I stumbled on the following runner:

Catherine Pickering: clock time: 3:54:52; chip time: 3:53:47

Damn, that was very close to my time -

My Numbers :clock time: 3:54:51, chip time: 3:53:43

With my lightning quick mental prowess, I realized that she finished a second behind me and crossed the start line 3 seconds in front of me. I took a look at her finishing photo and guess what she was wearing!



Next, I went through my pictures and guess who I found:



I can't imagine that she really followed me for 4 hours, but the numbers and photos seem to indicate that she was lurking around back there.

OTHER RANDOM PHOTOS



Mile 26, you can see my new best friend 30 feet behind me on the right side of the picture



Crossing the finish line. You know who is out of frame on the far left side of the chute.



This is the Muse on the left side of the chute at the same time.



I really like this picture. My shoulders are relaxed (very odd for me) and my hands are low, backs straight. I actually look like I'm enjoying myself. Of course, you can see Catherine back 50 feet or so on the left side of the picture.

21 comments:

Sub said...

That's a really nice finisher pic of her. Both of you'll have some neat pics!

Something similar happened to me in the RNR half... I saw the same lady in quite a few of my pics. Then in Eugene there was this guy I ran with from mile 20-23. I guess once you end up locking into a pace...

Bruce said...

Nice photos Phil, you certainly do look relaxed.

Ewen said...

She might have been stalking you Phil ;)

I like the finish line photo - you look to be moving pretty well.

ReneeMc said...

Great photos! That's evidence of good pacing on both your parts that you share so many pictures!

Deene said...

you do look relaxed in this photo, it must have been a great race.

Laurie said...

That is quite amazing that you stayed together for so long. I'm glad you figured out how she did!

Great pics! You look strong. That exemplary lifestyle is working for you!

jen said...

Great pictures, Congratulations Phil!

I just got caught up on the race report, you did SO great! Congrats on a beautifully paced race and a PR marathon. :) Way to go.

Darrell said...

That's prettty neat the you were able to identify her.

From the photos it looks as though you ran the whole race in lock step, quite the coincidence.

miss petite america said...

you look super fit! exemplary even!

Laufenweg said...

how very cool you have ID'd miz pickering. does she know she's famous?

Gotta Run said...

Now that is just about the neatest find I have ever seen. makes me want to go back in look at all of my race photoes.

Your form looked perfect in every photo as well. I need to work on this!!

Dusty said...

How crazy is that - and she is from the ARR - she is stalking you! haha! Can you look her up through the AAR and contact her? Maybe you two can do some workouts together since you seem to be at the same pace!

GREAT photos! You look so relaxed and doing great throughout the entire marathon!!

Addy said...

Great pictures! You look awesome :)
How fun that you found your 'muse'!

Question, how did you bring your pictures over from the site? I tried, and just ended up with a big x.

Congrats again!!

Michele said...

That is funny that y'all ran the entire race at the same pace. Maybe she has a blog and refered to you as "the guy at passed me at the start that I spent the entire race trying to catch back up with"

Dawn - Pink Chick said...

Great photos Phil. I love hearing and reading everyone's story about this race.

Hope your recovery goes smoothly.

Pure Virtual Function said...

That is almost creepy that someone ran so close to you for so long! =) Great job with the race!

Adama Anderson said...

Wow, that's some handy dandy mental work. Great job again at your marathon.

DawnB said...

Great race photos Phil. I like the story with the pictures!! I think she had the right strategy

stephruns said...

you look great - no wonder she was stalking you!

Chad in the Arizona Desert said...

If you see her in France, then you know you have a problem...

Bex said...

I'm finally getting caught up on people's blogs after my x-country road trip to California, the Tahoe relay race, and work. Great photos! And so interesting that you and Catherine had the same pace. It's like you guys had an invisible rope connecting you two.