Saturday, July 28, 2007

Feel the Tempo

I find myself quickly becoming one with the treadmill. I got off work late Friday night and headed to gym for a tempo run. I’ve never tried to run 7 miles on a treadmill, but no time like the present to try something new; I even brought along my MP3 player for something totally different

After a 3.2 mile warm up, slowly speeding up from 9:30 to 9:05/mi, I cranked the pace down to 8:00/mi and started cruising along at 8:00/mi. My HR jumped to 160+ immediately, but held steady and I was feeling great. The guy next to me was running along at a slower pace, which kept me pushing along. I had my MP3 cranking out DOORS tunes and found myself mentally playing playing “air guitar” with Robby Krieger as the miles sailed by.

After 3 miles at 8:00/mi, I cranked the pace down each minute until I got down to 7:30/mi and finished out the 7 miles in 60:11. This is the longest I’ve ever spent on a treadmill. I was dripping wet, but felt great. This was nowhere near what I was running 4 months ago, but it was the longest and fastest session I've run since my back injury.

Hope your weekend is going great.

17 comments:

Bruce said...

Hi Phil, great to see you're back running. I guess the attraction of the treadmill is the cooler indoor temperatures eh!

Ewen said...

Nice run Phil. I haven't done much treadmill running - the longest was 5k and that was as boring as driving from Bourke to Wilcannia.

Glad you didn't actually play air guitar - I can well imagine the certain spectacular accident.

Dusty said...

Great job and awesome to accomplish this on the dreadmill!

edinburghrunner said...

Nice job with the treadmill. Usually a combination of boredom and the heat limits the time I can manage.

ReneeMc said...

Great run. Sometimes the treadmill is just what we need, especially on our way back from an injury. Something about the monotony and straightaway of it all is very healing, in the most boring sense of the word.

Love2Run said...

Great way to beat the heat and get a speedy run in. Complete opposite to my strategy to avoid the sub-zero stuff!

Gotta Run said...

You mean the DREADMILL.. I can do a few miles but then I am done with it. Way to rock the machine. You are on your way!!

Laufenweg said...

awesome job on the treadmill. it is what it is. :-) more fun with rocking tunes to focus on. my favorite this week: "unfortunate son" (creedence clearwater revival)

rock on!

DawnB said...

great job on the dreadmill Phil, looks like you are back!!!

stephruns said...

Huh, that awakens my addiction to speedy treatmill runs!!! I hate to confess it, but I love those runs, too.

Well done!

Chad in the Arizona Desert said...

Great job with the treadmill speedwork. I know that running on them has improved both my speed and my ability to maintain a given pace running outdoors. It's also a little bit easier in this town this time of year. Glad you are back running well.

Nicole said...

Nice job on the treadmill. Sometimes change could be good.

Anne said...

Music and treadmills were made for each other. Long live the tempo run.

Mom tried decaf once said...

Great job on the treadmill. So glad your runs and your back are getting back to normal!

Bex said...

Looks like you're getting fit to me! Way to go on the 7-mile run. And nice way to end the run, with mega-negative splits.

Sub said...

I can imagine how encouraging the tempo run must have been! I hope you recovered ok/quickly after the run. I'm always afraid of over-extending myself on the TM.

If you want to get in a short run together or perhaps grab dinner when you're in Redmond let me know...

miss petite america said...

the treadmill can be your friend. i once logged 10 miles at one time, and i run reeeeeally slow!

way to get it done!