Sunday, July 22, 2007

5K Race Report - brief

I'm blogging on my Black Berry, so I'll keep this short (I can hear the cheers from around the world now)

I ran the 4th 5K of the summer organized by the Arizona Road Racers this morning. A normal thinking person wouldn't imagine that a 5K in this part of the country, where the over night lows rarely dip below 90F would be all that popular; however, these races regularly draw 700+ people and this morning was no different.

Overnight storms cooled the desert off to a chilly 85F, but sent the humidity skyward. So I was dripping wet after a brief 1 mile warm up, but more or less ready to run. I'd already decided to take it easy and run this race as a tempo, so I was under no pressure to blast off the start line.

My work friend, Chad, met me at the strarting chute and we took off together. Although Chad has never beaten me at any distance, he quickly pulled away from and was 30 seconds in front by the time he passed the 1 mile mark. I wasn't paying any attention to my time, but I think I ran the first mile around 7:30. My HR was we'll north of 165, so I wasn't about to push any harder. Catching up to Chad just wasn't that important.

I lost focus on mile 2 and probably slowed down to 8/mi; however, I noticed that Chad was still only 30 seconds ahead of me at the 2 mile mark and my competitive juices started flowing. Heck, I could make up 30 seconds. I closed most of the gap over mile 3 and sent my HR over 170 in the process. OK, not exactly a tempo run, but you only live once. Chad sped up again on the last 0.1 mile and crossed the line 3 seconds in front of me. Good for Chad, now he knows he can beat me and I hope he keeps getting faster as I start getting back in some semblence of shape.

Post race, Pat and Lisa (my local blogging buddies) found me in the food line. It was great to finally meet these two. Both of Lisa and Pat just keep improving and I suspect I'll be trailing them in a couple of years. Lisa and Pat already posted race reports, so go check them out.

Another runner that needs a big shout out is Addy. Addy ran the Tahoe Rim 50k today. She is an experienced trail runner, but this is her first 50k (what a way to start).

Hope your weekend is going great. I'm staying in Tucson tonight at the Hilton Resort north of town and celebrating a significant life event. My 22 year old daughter got a real job. A job in her field that actually pays her real money, tuition payments and full health benifits. Oh happy day. I figure my cash flow just improved $700/month and she's happy. Life doesn't get any better.

Hope your weekend is going as well.

18 comments:

Gotta Run said...

I am impressed that you sent that blog from your blackberry. It takes me FOREVER and even send a text from my cell...LOL.

Seems I we are sharing the humidity. Nice to see you at a race again!! How was the back following your race though? I am hoping fine!

Your daughter has a real job and health benefits?!! There is hope for all kids then.. right!!!

StumbleGuy said...

Nice report! Such a difference from your running in the last few posts. Sounds like things have turned around again for you, and for the better.

Congrats on your daughter's new job.

Andy

Sempre Libera said...

Great race, especially given the setbacks you've faced lately! And a big congratulations to your daughter, the first real job is a big milestone indeed!

stephruns said...

Hi Phil,

coming back is hard and you're doing awesome I must say. It's easy to feel down after set-backs, but that's when we know we are a runner...when we won't give in and being called again and again to step one foot infront of the other...in the end it's our mind and spirit that keeps us going.

carmen said...

Oh wow! Guess I missed out on a meeting of the Arizona bloggers. Sounds like a great race...nothing like competitive juices to get you through a race.

And congrats to your daughter on finding a job and kudos for more $ in your pocket!

Ewen said...

It's hard to stick to tempo running in a race - especially with a rival like Chad running well.

I think 5k is about as far as I'd want to run in that weather.

Congrats to your daughter Phil. You can buy a lot of shoes/race entries with $700 ;)

Mom tried decaf once said...

Phil! Great job on your run on Saturday! It was so nice to meet you and I meant it when I said that I really appreciate all of your help! You are very inspirational to all of us! Looking forward to the next 5k!

Mr. Satan A. Chilles said...

Nice job on the 5K, getting through that heat ain't easy. It's also nice to feel good enough in a race to pick it up, that's one good thing about a 5K, you don't have to budget your energy as much as you do in much longer runs.
Keep running races, they're better than speedwork. You get your workout, plus a t-shirt!

DawnB said...

Phil, I was surprise to see this race report!!!base on your previous posts.Congratulations on a great job.

That is surely some good news about your daughter!!! congratulations again.

Dusty said...

nice job on the tempo run with a race - so hard not to push it with the race going on.

700+ wow! They are booming now. When I did these in the late 80's and early 90's I don't remember the crowds being that big. That is fantastic.

Congrats about your daughter!! That is awesome!!

Anne said...

Now that's how to run a 5k in oppressive conditions. Nice job. And congratulations on the financial emancipation. I'm looking forward to something similar in a few years.

Sub said...

Congrats to your daughter! You must be so proud...

I've so scared of 5ks in normal conditions. I wouldn't think of running one in such heat. Nice job!

Thomas said...

Congrats on the 5k and especially for getting your daughter off your apron strings. What are you going to spend all that extra money on?

ReneeMc said...

Nice job on the 5K. These summer speed series are great speedwork and tests of our mental strength.
And for $700 you can run 10 marathons next year, rivaling Dawn!

Michele said...

Blogging from the blackberry?? Now that is impressive.

Congrats on gainful employment for you kid! I hope for the same for mine someday.

Chad in the Arizona Desert said...

That particular ARR 5k always seems to be run with the humidity way up. I remember it being just like that last year. Good job on the race.

coty said...

Nice 5k !

Adama Anderson said...

I should've read some blogs to find out about the local bloggers being there. I was there, and it was a horrible race and retchid, I think the canal brought up the humidity a good bit. Great job!