Sunday, July 08, 2007

The long road home

 The picture to the left is Venus Williams holding whatever award one gets for winning Wimbledon. I just love this picture. Here’s a woman that wasn’t suppose to win this year, but no one bothered to tell her. Look at that face. That’s the look of someone that truly enjoys what she has accomplished. I think this is what we are all looking for in one way or another; to accomplish what others may see as impossible, but so very real to us. Can you imagine what she could accomplish if she switched from tennis to endurance racing?

As I’ve said over and over, back injuries suck. Unlike other injuries where you can do alternative activities to keep your cardio system somewhat in tune, back injuries cause nearly anything other than laying down to hurt and my running log reflects this. It’s beyond pathetic; in fact, I wouldn’t be surprised if www.runningalong.com deleted my account for lack of progress. My weekly totals over the past three weeks look more like a leisure mid-week run. And then there’s the weight gain. Like a lot of you, I burn through 5,000 to 6,000 extra calories a week running. So what happens when the mileage approaches zero? The pounds add up. Eat less you say … yeh, right! I am now officially 12 lbs higher than target and heavier than I’ve been in 15 months.

Enough whining. This week will be better.

Posted by Picasa

12 comments:

david said...

You really don't realize how we depend on the support of a strong back until we injure it. Hang in there...

Journey to a Centum said...

So what's the prognosis on your back? Is it just a matter of letting it heal or are you waiting in line for the knife?

You should probably get going on the Prozak now so you won't start into a pity fest of binge eating.

I wish you a speedy recovery. I hope your pain is not too bad as you heal. I suppose it's hard enough just to get around and live a normal life with a bad back let alone try to exercise or workout. I suppose the pool is the best option if you can even aqua jog. I imagine the biggest problem is getting in and out of the pool and fear of slipping on the pool deck.

Eric

coty said...

I love that picture of her too!
It's like you can almost feel her glory.
Can you at least get out and walk? I hope so, because if you can't bike then it really does suck! And as we get older the lbs come on us even more quickly when we can't run...
Hope you get to feeling better soon.

Love2Run said...

Ow! Double ow! Hope you get this sorted out soon. My wife threw her back out 2 weeks ago and was a mess until the muscle healed. Good luck!

J~Mom said...

That is a great picture!!

I really hope you are feeling better fast! Is there anything you can do for it or is it just waiting it out?

Gotta Run said...

Nothing to say but injuries SUCK!!!! I know you hate any extra pounds because you have worked so hard.

I am saying a big....GET WELL all the way from SC!!!!!

Mom is on Decaf Now said...

Phil, I gotta new home in the internet world. Come check it out and change the link if don't mind. :>) Lisa

Ewen said...

She sure looks happy... may not make a brilliant endurance athlete though - probably too many FT muscle fibres.

Hang in there Phil. The weight will drop off soon enough once you get back into it. All the best.

Sub said...

Both the Williams sisters are pretty amazing. Serena was unseeded at the Australian and yet she still managed to win!

Injuries that keep you from running really suck! For now focus on healing up. The mileage will go up and the weight will get back to normal after that. Easier said than done I know.

Bruce said...

Hope you come right soon Phil. I can relate to your position a little though I'm still able to do some cardio to maintain my fitness /weight.

Sempre Libera said...

"Here’s a woman that wasn’t suppose to win this year, but no one bothered to tell her."

I love it! It's so true; there's nothing better than defying expectations.

Sorry to hear your back is still acting up. At least you're staying out of the heat though, right? I'm sure you'll be back out on the roads soon.

Nicole said...

So well put.