Tuesday, July 17, 2007

No Más

Some how the magic of running under extreme conditions lost its luster this afternoon. I ran the same trail as last night and temperature was a little lower; hovering around 109F as the sun sank into the west. But the run didn't have the same energy as last night. My stomach was a queasy on the first mile and my right Achilles tightened up on the second climb, so I elected to walk to the top of the hill instead of tempting the fates. The tendon loosened on the way down the other side of the hill and I was able to run the rest of way; however, something was missing. There were no cicadas chirping, no lightening flashing and no "one with the universe" feeling. There was just a guy gutting out a run in the heat of the late afternoon.
 
On the plus side, I'm feeling human again. Now all I need to do is get my mileage up and loose the love handles and I'll be ready to start training again. Hope your week is going well.

11 comments:

miss petite america said...

"gutting it out" as you say, there is magic in that. way to go!

Deene said...

it was probably just one of those runs that let appreciate all the other good ones.

Mom tried decaf once said...

Uck, sorry it didn't go better. The heat just really zaps you some days.

Josh said...

Here we are... end of day Wednesday and I really cannot tell you how my week is going. Methinks just like your run - that is to say, I'm just going thru the motion.

Laufenweg said...

muy caliente, chico!

Chad in the Arizona Desert said...

Back to back days running in this heat is enough to make a pro feel sluggish. Don't worry about it. But you might want to get out in the early morning or find a nice, cool treadmill somewhere.

Jamie said...

A very positive sounding run overall, even though Mother Nature was on a coffee break. Best wishes that more are on the way.

Ewen said...

Another run in the bank Phil. They can't all be magical.

By the way, I'd like to trade you a few degrees. We're still suffering in single digits celsius down here.

Gotta Run said...

So I love your words in your previous post.."The Trails were calling You." Love it!!

You are back and will only continue to get stronger. have you started taking Yoga? I was not sure if I missed you posted this. I am seeing the benefits from this more and more. Just a thought.

Smart on not pushing the hill. Part of the biggest battle is listening to our bodies. GO Phil!!

ReneeMc said...

I hate the runs that lose their magic the most.

Bruce said...

Sorry Phil cant offer any advice. No experience of running ( or doing anything) in those temperatures. As the others have said I guess they cant all be great runs.