Friday, July 13, 2007

Of mice and men

The best laid plans of mice and men often go awry. I needed to be in Tucson on business on Friday which should have afforded me the opportunity to spend some quality time after hours with my daughter and perhaps, by chance, get a run in up Sabino Canyon. My wife is out of town, so I only needed to find some way to integrate the needs of my 15 year old daughter with a quick over night trip to Tucson and I be all set.

My daughter was off working in Mississippi with her churches’ youth group, sans mobile phone, so I arranged to drive to Tucson early Friday morning and have my older daughter to pick her up at my office in Tucson and spend the day with her. I’d join them that night, take a nice run up Sabino Canyon on Saturday morning and drive back to Phoenix on Saturday night. The Perfect Plan.

Instead, once she got home from Mississippi, my daughter informed us that she had a concert to go to on Friday night in Phoenix. So, I drove to Tucson early this morning, oldest daughter met us at my office (so far so good), but dropped her off again this afternoon and I drove all the way back to Phoenix and got her to a concert downtown at 6:30. That is, in addition to a full day in Tucson, I had the pleasure of driving 125 miles each way without the benifit of running in the slightly cooler climate of greater-Tucson. Bummer

On the running front, I’ve run one 4 miler and 2 two milers so far this week. They've been walk/run efforts … nothing to brag about, but I’m getting outside. I still need to hit the gym tonight for some cross-training and will get in at least 8 miles this weekend.

Hope your weekend goes well.

7 comments:

Addy said...

Sorry that you missed out on your run with the family obligations. You sound like a great and dedicated dad though :)

Glad that the back is doing so much better and that you're able to get some runs in still!

Ewen said...

Your daughter is lucky Phil.

I hope the 8 miler is as pain-free as possible. My weekend is going well so far - Sat night down here. Only 8C temp, but still and sunny, so it felt much warmer - perfect running weather :)

Dusty said...

Good job on your runs - take it easy and hopefully your body will reward you. :)

Bummer about the running in Tucson

StumbleGuy said...

Sorry I've been away from your blog for so long. All that driving can't be any good for your back!

Glad to see you getting some mileage in despite everything. If you do take up yoga, I hope you write about it and how it helps.

Andy

Amy said...

You are a good person for doing the driving and getting in some exercise.

ReneeMc said...

Glad you're getting out and running. Your kids are certainly lucky to have your plans to mess up!

Mom tried decaf once said...

Glad you are able to get up and run again!! I bet it feels good! Pat and I are making plans for the 5K on Saturday, will you be there?

I figure you could run, get breakfast, run errands and then come back in time for me to cross the finish. ;>)