Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Perhaps I'm Back

6.4 miles. 6.4 miles on a treadmill, but 6.4 miles none-the-less. I hadn’t intended to run at all this evening. I went to the gym with my wife tonight for some x-training and was only going to do a 5 minute warm up on the a treadmill before doing some much needed weight training. However, 3 minutes into my warm-up, the bimbo chattering on a cell phone while walking on the treadmill next to me started asking me questions concerning the machine’s operation and I accidentally hit the STOP button on my machine trying to explain it to her. I was so pissed that once I got going again, I cranked the pace down to 9:05/mi and just started running.

Amazingly, I still felt good after a mile at this pace and the feeling didn’t let up through 5K. So I started up the machine again and did another 3 miles. This time I started at 9:05/mi and slowly cranked the pace down to 8:00/mi for an average of 8:30 over 3 miles. I briefly lowered the pace below 8:00/mi, but my right knee told me to back off a bit, which I did.

Sunday I got a chance to run in Sabino Canyon. Storms had dumped water on Tucson overnight and the temperature wasn’t much over 83F at 10AM. But by he time I got out to the canyon at noon, the temperature was well over 95F and the humidity was outrageous. From the parking lot, I headed out towards Bear Canyon along the desert trail (Picture to the left). Dummy that I am, I didn’t realize a paved road in the park headed east towards Bear Canyon, so I didn’t need to beat myself up for the first two miles.

Once I got to the real trail head, I lasted about another mile into the canyon before the heat and humidity did me in. I never did get to 7 Falls. Instead I turned around and walked out of the canyon and ran back to my car along the road. Still … it was a very pretty run.

One non-running observation: Why don’t the local radio Talking Heads take a look out the window before reading the weather report? Yesterday afternoon I’m driving north looking at a wall of water 10 miles wide falling on the northern part of Phoenix directly in front of me. The radio weather dude is warning us from a station less than 5 miles away that there was a 50% chance of precipitation that afternoon. Judging by the torrential blast of rain that hit my car minutes later, I’d say he slightly underestimated his prediction. Then this morning, as I’m driving through the parking lot at my office, again through the rain, a different announcer on the same station explained to all those still listening that there was a 30% chance of rain today. This was certainly a cautious prediction, wouldn’t want to rile up the populace too much.

Hope you have a great week.

14 comments:

david said...

When you hear weather reports like that you know the studio is in a windowless room. I remember years ago one station had what they called the "weather board" that they would check. It was a piece of plywood outside the studio. They would say, "We just checked the weather board and it is wet outside." Which meant, the DJ looked out the window and the plywood was wet. Some times you just can't bet simple observation.

ReneeMc said...

Nice job on the treadmill! It's a good way to make a comeback, unencumbered by the heat.

Dusty said...

Nice to get a variety of runs as you travel and glad you felt good on the tradmill.

For the weather, be glad you are not in Dallas - they never come close to accurate out here. I've learned to take every report with a grain of salt and read about 4 of them to see if any even slightly agree.

Deene said...

what a lovely photo! can i use it as a screen saver? thanks to the bimbo for getting you back in gear.

Anne said...

Another AZ-based blogger I know runs Sabino Canyon frequently. I must put it on my to-do list, but in winter. How you guys manage in those sweltering conditions is beyond me and my temperate body.

Anne said...

Oh, and 50% means 50% of the area the weather forecast covers, not the actual chance of it raining is half-and-half. So, if that cloudburst covered 50% of the territory, then the forecast was spot on. It's the tracking that sounds off here, given the guy should have been able to see where the storm was hitting at that moment.

Gotta Run said...

You are a machine in a crazy sort of way. If you see a person running ahead of you then you chase them down only to pass them. Hit the wrong button on the treadmill and you are a mad man on a mission.

I would say that your body is starving for you to retunr to what it knows as normal. That is a good thing!!

jen said...

Great job on the running! I was just in Sabino Canyon, but took the main paved trail. That Bear Canyon trail looks nice though!

You are so right about the weather reporters! :D

Tom said...

Am enjoying your posts. Nice race report, and great list of blogs to enjoy. Keep up the great running and posting.

stephruns said...

Ah, anger can be such a turn on!

Ewen said...

You'll have to go back and do more of that canyon run Phil - beautiful country. Glad to hear you might be back.

I'm usually 90% right with my weather predictions when I step outside and look around :)

Addy said...

Welcome Back :D Awesome job on the runs and Glad to hear you're feeling a bit more like yourself now!

Weather reports are always tricky things...but sometimes it seems like common sense should prevail :)

Mom tried decaf once said...

The people on the radio are not half as bad as the tv broadcasters. I get so tired of hearing about how a cat got stuck in a cactus...

So glad you are feeling back to the norm!

Jamie said...

You guys have rain down there?

;-)