Sunday, July 15, 2007

Some like it Hot

Some like it hot, then again, some don't. I was determined to get in 8 miles this weekend and did achieve that goal. It wasn't pretty, but I got in 4 miles on Saturday and 4 miles this morning, covering the distance in the hills around my house. The heat (97F), the elevated humidity and the hills combined to make for a rather intense workout. On Saturday, I ran the first 2 miles and walk/ran the last 2. This morning, I ran the first mile and walk/ran the 2nd and 3rd mile and walked the 4th. By the start of the 3rd mile, my hands were all puffy, my legs were filled with lead and my HR fluxuated between 130 and 150. I certainly have a long way to go before I'm ready to run another marathon (or decent 5K for that matter), but I'm out and moving again, which beats the hell out of the alternative.

While I was in Tucson on Friday, I picked up my black lab and brought him home. He had been staying at my oldest daughter's boyfriendfor the past 2 months while our house was on the market, but it was time for him to come home. He's somewhat out of shape also and didn't seem to mind that we cut off our runs at 4 miles. So perhaps it is best that I'm recovering. It will give him a chance to get back in the grove for those weekend long runs.

Have a great week.

9 comments:

DawnB said...

Nice!! you said you would do it and you did!! Give your Lab a huge welcome home hug for me and don't be too hard on him...:)

Bex said...

I bet your your dog missed you! And good for you for completing the 8 miles in truly torrid weather.

Bruce said...

Well done on getting back out there. It's great your backs holding up. Hope the cross trainings going well too.

ReneeMc said...

It's a good running partner who doesn't criticize you for cutting off some distance.

Dusty said...

Good job on meeting your goal!

My hands get puffy when I go for walks, it is from the circulation - maybe that is what is happening to you? When my Mom is in town and we walk, I try to hold my hands like I do when I run so they don't swell, when they hang by my sides as in normal walking, I can't take off my ring for hours.

I bet you are glad to have your running buddy back! Your lab is so handsome!

StumbleGuy said...

Everytime I read about the temperatures you run in during the Summer, it amazes me that you leave the house in the first place.

Glad your making some of your miles back up again. Getting your lab fit again might be a nice short term goal!

Andy

Jamie said...

Black labs are great dogs! I had one growing up.

Nicole said...

Great job on the run. I defintely wouldn't be able to run in heat like that!

And, welcome home to your puppy! I don't know that I could live without Scooter for 2 months!

miss petite america said...

it amazes me the weather conditions you run in...but i'm assuming that fall and winter and much nicer there than in other parts of the country.