Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Cross roads

I think I’m out of my 3 mile slump. After the proverbial “hard day at the office”, I rushed home, changed into my running gear and got to the gym at 9:30. The temp was still 100F when I got home, so the gym was the only viable option. The place was fairly deserted, with only 4 people using the treadmills. One runner, 2 walkers and a 4th guy that just looked perplexed (I know the feeling). I picked a spot next to the runner, cranked up my MP3 player (led off with Cream’s version of CrossRoads from 1968) and slowly increased the pace from 10/mi to 8:54/mi over the first mile.

My HR was staying well under 140 so I started raising the machine's elevation 1% every quarter mile up to 5% while keeping the pace steady at 8:54. Boy did that make a difference. I was still breathing comfortably as my HR steadily increased from 135 to 155 while, but started breathing pretty hard once the incline got up to 5% and my HR climbed up to 163. After 1.5 miles (and 200 feet), I'd had enough fun and lowered the treadmill back down to flat and finished out the first 30 minutes averaging just over 9:00/mi

As I started up my machine for another 30 minutes, I noticed that I now had a young stud running his little heart out to my right; nothing like a little fresh meat. He had his machine set at 8/mi, much faster than he should have been going, so I set my machine to match his and paced him for a half mile, calmly breathing through my nose. My HR drifted back up the 150 range, but everything was feeling good, so I took the pace down to 7:30 and hung in there for another mile. Somewhere along here, the running stud gave up and I was left alone again.

With little to do other than listen to the music blast into my head, I adjusted my pace up and down between 7:30 and 8:00/mi for the fun of it with no particular training emphasis in mind. For the last 2 minutes, I took the pace down to 6:40 and ran out the clock. Now, before you get too impressed, 6:40 on a flat treadmill is the equivalent of running 6:57/mi on the road (see Treadmill Pace chart) or my best 5K pace. Although there was no way that I was going to keep up that pace for 3.1 miles, it sure felt good to be running again.

Hope your week is going well. If you want to checkout an impressive workout, go take a look at Addy’s latest post. She ran an 18 miler followed by a 20 miler back to back this weekend. And I thought I was doing well running a 6 miles on one day’s rest.

Training for the week:

Mon: Rest Day
Tue: 6.8 Miles @ 8:50/mi

10 comments:

ReneeMc said...

Another sweet run! It's always good to have the competition at the gym.

Jamie said...

The great treadmill races! Very cool. I've always found the various social dynamics at gyms to be quite interesting.

J~mom said...

WOOHOO!! Keep up the great work!

I just had to chuckle at your song...it's so funny how different we all are with what we listen to! My DH would probably like that song though.

Sempre Libera said...

Wow, you're quite competitive on the treadmill! Way to school the newbies :-)

david said...

I really like the different ways you help pass the time on the dreadmill.

Deene said...

hmm, i wonder what the running stud is saying about you now, "this older guy was running like a maniac", haha.
good job at keeping the pace.

jen said...

I think the treadmill can be fun when you play around with the speed and incline, and mess with people running next to you. :) Love the nose breathing. :D Great job.

miss petite america said...

you make treadmill running sound so fun!!

Mike said...

Phil, glad to see you getting it done with frequency. Are you coming down for the Labor Day suffer-fest at Saguaro National Monument?

stephruns said...

That's the cool thing about running; ability is not determined by age or anatomy.