Thursday, August 23, 2007

Heat Index

The heat continues. I slogged through 7.3 miles along Arizona SR 51 (the Piestawa Freeway) on Wednesday night. The temperature was still 103F at 9:30PM after I’d finished up. We are also in danger of breaking our record most days over 110F. The current record is 28 and we are sitting at 26. It’s been one hot summer. My HR started out a nice 135 for the first mile, but hit 145 before I turned around and started heading back up the hill. By the time I'd reached 7 miles, the HR was out of control at 160. I'm out there running slower than 9:45/mi and watching my heart work harder and harder on every mile.

I’m off to Huntington Beach for a soccer tournament on Friday afternoon. It has to be cooler in California. My daughter’s team doesn’t have any early games on either Saturday or Sunday, so I should be able to get a couple of decent runs in.

Hope you have a great weekend.

TRAINING FOR THE WEEK:

Mon: 6.1 miles; 9:51/mi pace – 145 avg HR.
Tue: Rest Day
Wed: 7.3 miles: 9:54/mi pace - 149 avg HR.
Thr: Rest Day

11 comments:

Jamie said...

Great job in very tough conditions. Enjoy Huntington Beach!

Deene said...

any place has to be cooler than 110. we've finally cooled off enough that i saw a few people wearing sweaters this morning.

Mike said...

You lucky dog. Glad you'll get some running time too. Have fun in California.

Any time I want to whine about 85 degrees for running I always know you'll top me!

Mr. Satan A. Chilles said...

Dang, that's hot. Whenever I see that 'Local Weather' update on the right side of the blog, it's in the three digits. I don't know how you do it, but I guess like all of us, you just do. Well, thanks for making me feel better about running long in 90-degree heat this Sunday, that's wintertime compared to what you're dealing with. Well, hang in there, it's gotta end someday...

Chad in the Arizona Desert said...

Darn, you are going to miss the cooling trend of 90s. Of course, it will probably be in the 70s in Cali, so I guess you won't miss much. Have a safe trip.

stephruns said...

That type of training will only make you stronger.

I started running along some freeways, too lately - it's much better than sidewalks with all those red lights to stop at and sometimes drivers are so rude - wondering why they have a problem with a harmless runner on street!

Have fun in CA - yes, much cooler over here:-)

Ewen said...

Looks like our first warmer day since last summer down here - about 15C. A couple of months before we get 30C+ days.

I've just finished watching the men's marathon live from Osaka - about 29C and 62% humidity!

Have a good weekend Phil - take it easy in that heat.

Jenny said...

I just worked out what 110F is in C and that is HOT! I don't know how you do it, I can't even walk in heat like that!

ReneeMc said...

Gah, I still don't know how you all do it in the Southwest. It definitely makes you stronger, though. Keep on training and I hope you're enjoying a good cool weekend.

Dusty said...

Enjoy the weather on your trip! Good luck to your daughter!

miss petite america said...

sweet jesus. i was watching the weather the other day and saw just how hot it is everywhere else except for where i live.

my hat goes off to you. no amount of money could get me running in that kinda heat!