Monday, August 20, 2007

Tired Puppy

With the 2007/2008 soccer season in full swing, I’m back to running at night again while my youngest daughter is at soccer practice. Tonight was an hour at an easy aerobic pace. I started by running up hill along the SR51 highway for 1.5 miles, stopping where the trail runs into Reach 11 park; home of Diamond Back rattle snakes and copious quantities of coyotes – I just didn’t feel like dealing with either tonight. Plus I had my black lab with me and it is far too hard to keep track of his safety and watch out for myself while running across the desert in the dark.

Once we reached the top, we turned around and ran down hill for 3 miles before turning around again and heading back up the hill to the practice fields. This is August in central Arizona, which means it is HOT. At 8PM the temperature was 103F (39.4 C). At least the sun had set long ago, an artifact of our forefathers refusing to accept Day Light Savings time in the great state of Arizona. Even though the sun was down, the heat took its toll on my HR as well as my black-lab. I finished up the first mile at 136 and second mile over 140 and the lab was ready to quite. My HR continued to drift up while the pace just slowed down. The final 2 miles where run close to a 10:00/mi pace with a HR over 150. This isn’t as bad as last week, but still not a stellar performance. On the plus side, I am running outside again and feeling human.

Accident Update: Two people died in the accident I reported on yesterday; a 50 year old father and his 6 year old daughter. The accident started when a women driving east swerved to avoid getting hit by semi that changed lanes into her. She lost control of her mini-van and shot across the highway median and into the on-coming west-bound traffic; colliding with a car and another semi. The deceased father / daughter were in the west bound car and spun out of control into the trees that line parts of the median.

Fellow blogger Lisa wrote me this morning to tell me she knows the women involved in the accident that was driving the east bound car and took dinner over to the distraught family. It really is a small world.

Hope your week is going well.

TRAINING FOR THE WEEK:

Mon: 6.1 miles; 8:51/mi pace – 145 avg HR.

14 comments:

ReneeMc said...

That's so terrible about the accident. It's hard to witness something so tragic.

I'm glad you're back out of doors!

david said...

As hot as it has been in Tennessee this summer, I thought many times about you running in the desert. You have my utmost respect.

coty said...

How sad for that family and the others involved.
Be careful running with the wild life!

stephruns said...

What's up with the accidents? Last night I read the story of Lara Kellogg, a climber, who died in April. I had Goosebumps the whole night!

I hope you didn't get to witness the accident too close up.

Sub said...

That's quite a horrific accident. Some drivers are so reckless ...

I admire how you're braving the heat! Here I am with perfect weather but not running - sigh...

Bex said...

That is terrible about the accident. Makes me appreciate my life, however complicated it may be.

I have utmost respect for you running in 103 degree heat! Take care of yourself and the doggie.

The One and Only Tigger said...

I saw the link on Chad's blog and thought I would check out yours. Sorry to hear about the accident. I was almost in one two weeks ago between Phx and Kingman. A car in the oncomming traffic decided to pass a bus and decided to use my lane to pass. In short I somehow managed to avoid hittiing all vehicles and ended up spun around facing my traffic lane, on the shoulder. I did not even have the car in park and a paramedic was knocking on the door. They were driving by just as the incident happened. No one was hurt, the littlest one asked "why did we stop?"

Nicole said...

Can't imagine having to deal with such wildlife when running.

I can't imagine seeing an accident like that. Thoughts to all who were affected.

DawnB said...

what an awful accident!! Very sad.
my hear goes out that that family.

Dusty said...

Wow, it is a small world. And how awful to be a part of that wreck - my thoughts and prayers go out to everyone involved. So tragic. Hope the girls in your car are not haunted by nightmares or anything.

Bruce said...

Good to see you're getting some good runs in and seem to be over your injuries of a few months ago.

It's not nice witnessing accidents is it. Fortunately I haven't had too in a long time.

jen said...

How sad, thanks for the update though. My prayers are with the families.

Great job on the run- 103 is no joke, yikes. You're tough!

Chad in the Arizona Desert said...

Pretty amazing that you are able to keep your HR down to a 145 average in that heat for 6 miles.

Great job.

Gotta Run said...

It is a small world!!! Amazing!

Glad you are able to fit runs in during your daughters practice.

Crazy what we do for running. It is just in our blood.....right.

I agree with Chad's comment. The heat would normally drive a HR up.
Great job Phil!