Thursday, August 09, 2007

Toronto Tempo

I found myself in Toronto this week. After taking a usual Air Canada 2 hour delay out Phoenix on Wednesday, I finally made it to my hotel around 8 PM; fortunately, I had squeezed in a quick 3 miler at home before leaving for the airport on Wednesday, else I’d be out of luck.

Working in the east is a lot like working from France. Being 3 hours ahead of the home office only means that you need to work an extra 3 hours after everyone leaves to work through all the issues back in Phoenix that have sprung up since you’ve left. Tonight was no different … I’m not complaining mind you. This job provides me the opportunity to go places I’d never see otherwise … but I was left with the option of going to dinner at a reasonable hour or taking a run and having dinner around 9:30. I choose to go for the run

Tonight’s run was 5.5 miles on the treadmill. Fortunately, the Renaissance Hotel by the airport has two treadmills because another fellow was already 10 minutes into his run when I showed up. I started out at a foot dragging 10:30 pace and slowly increased the pace to 9:00 over the first 2 miles. By the time I’d gone through 2 miles, the guy next to me had his machine cranked up to a 6:00/mi pace and wasn’t breaking a sweat. The nice thing about running next to someone on a treadmill however is that decent runners fall into the same cadence and only the stride length changes. While my running buddy was spinning his belt around at a break-neck speed, I was keeping up stride for stride, running 3 MPH slower.

In the end, I got in 5.5 miles at 9:00/mi average. Not my fastest run ever, but it did feel good to stretch my legs. Hope your week is going well. Air Canada willing, I’ll be back in Phoenix on Friday.

11 comments:

Ewen said...

Good choice Phil. A run, then a late dinner - just like they do in Europe. Very civilised.

That would be a good test - running next to an elite athlete on a treadmill and keeping the same cadence.

Jamie said...

Getting to travel and see new places is great, even if it means having to work a little later. Glad you enjoy it. Nice run on the treadmill. I never could get used to those things.

Adama Anderson said...

I did a run this week on treadmills on base, and it's just not the same as going out there and running at times. But it also helps when it's 106 degrees outside. Have a safe trip back.

Deene said...

have a safe trip home.

J~mom said...

Travel safe!! You are so dedicated to squeeze those runs into your travels!

stephruns said...

Must be a great feeling to wake up in the morning and rethink for a moment where you are now!!!

Chad in the Arizona Desert said...

The airlines must be going broke from all the frequent flyer miles they have to give you.

See you tomorrow.

Gotta Run said...

I can hardly believe that you... Phil... did not run down the treadmill man and pick him off like you are so known to doing!! LOL

You are a machine no matter what the pace!!

J~mom said...

We missed you today! I hope you are ok!

Susan said...

Phil,

Thanks for the comments and support you've given me on my blog. You inspire me with your dedication to running. I would like to train for a marathon.

Susan

DawnB said...

the nice thing about running next to someone on the treadmill you don't have to worry about keeping up with them or them passing you!!! :)