Monday, August 27, 2007

West coast

You folks that live by the beach have it made. After floundering and flailing in the Arizona heat for most of July and August, I finally got in two days in the cooler climes of Southern California. Although the locals were sweltering under highs of 78F, I found my own Nirvana. As usual, I was in Irvine this weekend supporting my daughter's soccer team at a tournament, so I didn't have that much time for running, but I did manage to squeeze in nearly 8 miles at a 8:40/mi average pace over Saturday and Sunday. The remarkable aspect of it all was my HR. Whereas running any faster than 9:30/mi in the 100F+ night time temperatures in Central Arizona will cause my HR to sore to heights commensurate with a 5K, my HR stayed under 140 running nearly a minute per mile faster while in California.
 
To be fair, I didn't have the time to clock any real mileage, so my HR could very well have continued to drift higher and higher as the runs progressed, but still ... I was moving a heck of lot faster and exerting not nearly has much energy.
 
Hope you have a great week.

19 comments:

J~mom said...

Glad you got some cooler runs in!!

Jamie said...

I bet that felt great! You should come up here to Maine in February for a run. If the same logic applies, you'll be beating out the Kenyans.

ReneeMc said...

Glad you got a nice cooler run in! It's quite a difference those 30*.

Deene said...

sounds lovely! glad you were able to cool off for a couple of days.

DawnB said...

Phil pretty soon we'll be complaining about our deep freeze and you'll be in heaven!!

david said...

Running in the heat does have some benefits that we don't see until the temperature is more reasonable. Keep saying that to yourself during your next hot run in the desert.

Josh said...

Yeah, but in AZ you have a dry heat, no?

(like that matters 102F is still crazy freakin' hot)

And yes, things are getting very exciting around here. Just a few short weeks to go.

Addy said...

You've discovered our secret :) 78 actually sounds a bit on the hot side for me, as its rarely breaking the low 70s up here on the Northern California Coast :D

I actually grew up about 10 minutes south of Irvine in a town called Mission Viejo. Lots of soccer playing down there!

Glad you had a good run in this lovely state!

rustyboy said...

I left my run yesterday bitching to myself about the 85 degree temps by the end of it all.

Shame on me!

Ewen said...

78F - that's 25C. Nice and warm Phil. We had 22C today - perfect for shorter runs. It does feel warm after 10C last week!

Laufenweg said...

isn't that weather there wonderful? i was lucky to spend a few days in the burbank area in mid august and loved the break from the heat in virginia. lovely!!

Thomas said...

You should force Mike to read that entry out aloud a dozen times or so. He keeps beating himself up whenever he has a slightly substandard run in that 100F degree climate.

AZ-Phil said...

Phil - You need to check your email address in your profile. Didn't know how else to get you this message, but my email address is "arizonalphil@gmail.com", and I seem to be getting some messages for you. I very seldomly use this email address, so I didn't notice until now. I'm not a runner, but I do hike quite a bit. Might see you on the trail some day... :)

Jenny said...

It still sounds hot to me! I think there's only about a 2 degree temperature range that I'm happy in though...

I hope your daughter's team did good :-)

Love2Run said...

Cool running is great isn't it? I'm glad to live so close to the ocean hear on the east coast.

Michele said...

Glad you got in some cooler running. It has been 78 here at 4:30 when we run. I hope to see the lower heart rates when this heat breaks.

Lana said...

The West Coast - I'm jealous! Great job squeezing in the runs. Hope you and your daughter are having fun!

Chad in the Arizona Desert said...

Your post make me long for the cooler months here in Phoenix. Still a little ways away. At least I got to escape to Show Low last weekend.

Hope your daughter had fun with the games.

Dusty said...

So glad you got to enjoy the cooler weather!! Nice job getting those runs in with all you were up to!! Hope your daughter did great!