Sunday, September 30, 2007

Christensen Trail

I ran the western half of the Christensen Trail in North Phoenix this morning for my scheduled “medium long” run. The Christensen Trail is 10 miles of uninterrupted dirt, rocks and hills stretching across the northern part of the city. As expect, the trail kicked snot out of me. Over the 11.6 miles I spent negotiating the rocks, I climbed just over 100o'. My HR jumped to the low 140s on the first mile and bounced between 135 and 150 as I ran up and down the hills. Actually, “running” is a bit of stretch.

My average pace stayed around 11/mi the first 4 miles until I lost focus and tripped over a rock; sending me sprawling to the ground. Nothing broken and only a few scraps on my knees and palms resulted; however, I didn’t loose focus again and slowed down to make sure I didn’t drag a foot over another rock.

The scraps notwithstanding, the run was a blast. The temperature before sun rise was 71F (22C) and felt refreshingly cool for the first hour. However, as the sun continue to rise, that delightful feeling was replaced with the sensation of baking flesh along with the constant drip-drip-drip of sweat off the brim of my hat.

This evening, I off to Los Angeles for the week and should be able to get in a number of great runs in the morning before heading into the office. I hope the week goes well for you.



Christensen Trail Map


Elevation Chart

12 comments:

angie's pink fuzzy said...

nice!

Ewen said...

In spite of the stack, you did well Phil. Looks like a great place to run - perfect training for Six Foot ;)

Have fun in LA - say g'day to my brother and family - you might see them wandering around Disneyland, Hollywood or Universal Studios.

Anne said...

A trail run just isn't a trail run without at least one face plant. Yes, LA will provide lots of good running opportunities. Just watch out if you're downtown. The parks can be a little creepy.

Jamie said...

Nice! Bet you had some good views on the ridges? Have fun in L.A.. If you see Lindsay Lohan or Nicole Richie while you're on the highways, start praying.

Thomas said...

That looks like one cool trail to run!

ReneeMc said...

Well done! And a good old face plant to boot.

Chad in the Arizona Desert said...

I've run that trail before and you are right, it is definitely a rock-garden...but it is a lot of fun and will certainly get your hill work in. Nice job! It sounds like your running is coming around well.

Bruce said...

Nice to see you're back up & running again. Looks like a cool trail.

Gotta Run said...

I have a few scraps myself from mother earth. I believe it is how she welcomes you to her trails.

Love to see you posting about running. Pace is the very first thing you see change compared to road running. You already know that. Can not believe your temps are still getting that high.

miss petite america said...

between heat and elevations you run, you win the award for best runner in adverse conditions.

stephruns said...

I guess falling is part of the game - catching youself an art!

Hope you had a good time in LA. I was there, too, yesterday!

Laufenweg said...

hi! thanks for your comment on my page bout the ATM. it was a lovely course, but the heat/humidity were brutal. i'm glad i knew what to do to handle it. the best thing? since this was my first 10 miler, i PR'd! ha ha

the christensen trail looks amazing!! thaks for sharing it with your readers. i flew over your part of the world in august and thought it looked beautiful.