Monday, September 10, 2007

Lost soul

I'm still alive and kicking. The shin injury I suffered during the Labor Day 8 miler at Saguaro National Park was more severe than I thought. Although I was able to get in a nice recovery run last Tuesday, I haven't run since. This is an interesting and unexpected injury. The muscles used to raise the toes on my right foot certainly got over stressed during the the long climbs on Labor Day. If you can imagine this, the muscle seems to "creak". I've had this "rusty hinge" feeling in joints before, but this is the first time for a muscle group (mid-shin, directly to the right of the tibia)
 
Icing is helping as expected, but I stopped the compression after a couple of days. Compression seemed to be compounding the problem by rubbing directly on the sore area and did nothing but increase the level of pain. The injury seems to be healing. I woke up this morning pain free and it is reduced to a dull ache as I start my early afternoon routine.
 
I'm off to Los Angeles later this afternoon and will be gone through Wednesday. I have my running gear with me and I'll just have to see if the shin is doing well enough to run while I'm there. Next my wife and I are heading to Macon, Georgia on Thursday night for my dad's 80th birthday party. I hope to be feeling well enough to get in a run or two while I'm in Macon. But, one way or another, I need to get this shin problem behind me. 4 days after I get back from Georgia, I'm heading north for a Rim to Rim run/walk/crawl across the Grand Canyon. 22 miles; 5000' down, 6000' up. Makes for a nice day.
 
Hope your week is going well.

15 comments:

Chad in the Arizona Desert said...

Sorry to hear about the shin, but it sounds like you are doing the right things and it's getting better. I hope you get to run in cooler temps in LA and GA.

Very cool that you are going to do a Rim-to-Rim. That's one I want to check off of my "list" someday.

Travel safe.

stephruns said...

Also don't forget to put on heat on your leg after icing. It relaxes muscles and increases blood flow.

Rim-to-Rim? Awesome. One of my wish-runs,too.

StumbleGuy said...

Sorry to hear about the shin. These things are so frustrating!

I love your rim-to-rim posts and the photos - hope to do it myself some day. I'll stick to our little 3000' mountains for the moment over here though.

All the best for a speedy recovery.

Andy

Michele said...

Hope you are able to get some runs in soon.

Happy B-day to your dad. Enjoy the visit.

Nicole said...

Take care of that shin and safe travels.

Happy b-day to your dad.

Anne said...

Oh dear, that's not a lot of time to heal before hitting the Rim. I too injured myself on Labor Day and have yet to run. But I'm not heading to the Grand Canyon either. Do take care of that shin until then.

Ewen said...

The Grand Canyon run/walk/crawl sounds amazing Phil! I'd love to do that one day. Get some photos if you can. I hope the shin has settled down well before then. Happy traveling.

Thomas said...

You must have enjoyed last year's rim-to-rim hike if you're doing it again! Too bad about your shins, you seem to have a lot of niggles lately.

jen said...

Defintely continue to rest & ice, and get this shin thing behind you. A little patience now will pay off big.

Wow, rim to rim... that is high on my life's to-do list. What an adventure. Have a nice trip to LA and to GA, happy birthday to your dad!

miss petite america said...

i've been experiencing this kind of pain as well when i do hills. it doesn't seem to bother me AFTER my run, just during my run...

hope you can heal up quickly!

J~mom said...

Last time I hiked the Grand Canyon I vowed never again! With my new fitness level though I am wanting to try again someday. DH actually loves hiking and so it might be a middle ground for the two of us.

Sorry to hear about your shin! Miss seeing you in blogland! :>)

Deene said...

hope you shin heals soon. I've never been to the Big Crack but hear talk of running the rim to rim among folks in my trail group. we'll expect photos.

coty said...

I'm envious of your rim to rim ! Hope your feeling up to it :)

Bruce said...

Hope the shin is coming right and you're able to do the rim to rim. Sounds great. Look forward to the photos. I'm going to be holidaying in your good country next year and that's one place i'll be going to see!

Josh said...

The Rim-To-Rim sounds fun.

Hope your shin heals up quickly!