Tuesday, September 04, 2007

Rendez-vous illicite

First, I’m not going to complain about the heat anymore this summer. We’re on the home stretch, so to speak, and all this 110F nonsense will be a distant memory within the next 5 weeks.

Second, there must have been something in the air tonight, because I ran past not one, not two, but three liaisons in the course of running 4 miles. I ran into the first pair smooching in the SR 51 underpass on the outbound leg. This couple was probably in their early 20s and could certainly have found a cooler place exchange sweet nothings had they been so inclined. The second couple wasn’t actually touching when they first spotted me, but their pickup trucks were parked at the very end of a deserted street, a quarter mile off the main road. There isn’t anywhere to go from here; nothing to see; nothing to visit; no houses, apartments or businesses; just the end of road and a barricade. I’m sure this couple had a good reason for parking out here; probably just stretching their legs. The third couple was more of your traditional young people in love, lip-locked in the parking lot near the soccer fields our team was using for practice. They didn't seem to care who saw them. More power to them.

In between surveying the local fauna, I got in 4 miles at 9:03/mi as a recovery run after the Saguaro National Park Race yesterday. Although the muscles in my lower right shin area about 4 inches above my ankle were sore from the beating they took during the down hills yesterday, I didn't have any discomfort while running. I actually felt good and strong through the entire run; much stronger than last week, even though the temperature was a few degrees hotter.

However, as good as I felt while running, once I got home, I started to doubt the wisdom of running on sore muscles. The darn thing hurt worse than last night. I’ve iced it 3 times already and will apply compression and elevation tonight. I’d like to get back in the saddle tomorrow with a 6 to 8 miler. We’ll just have to see.

Hope your week is going well.

13 comments:

Thomas said...

As long as it's not your own daughter, I guess it's not so bad. Or your wife, come to think of it ...

Still, I'm sure it's a prettier sight than the shagging cows I came across a few weeks ago!

Mike said...

For me it's always the second day that gets me with the soreness. Keeping it light Tuesday was probably a good idea. I actually resorted to stretching for some sore glutes, which for me is about as appealing as being dragged in front of a firing squad.

No lovers around Sabino Canyon, but lots and lots of bats.

Jenny said...

I guess it was lusty Tuesday! I always have an urge to shout "get a room!" in these situations...

Michele said...

I wish I could have a recovery run like that!

miss petite america said...

lol to what thomas said! i guess the heat really riles people up in the desert.

hope the soreness subsides some! :)

Deene said...

a jaunt down lover's lane definitely sounds much safer than then one with wildlife alerts.

Chad in the Arizona Desert said...

I'm never sure what the best thing to do with moderately sore muscles. When I run on them, sometimes it seems to loosen them up. Other times, it makes things a lot more sore. I've pretty much gone to doing swimming or rest only for the two days after a hard race.

Sounds like you have quite a bit of...um...scenery, in your part of the valley.

J~mom said...

I think people were enjoying the cool fall weather...oh wait. Yeah I don't know what they were doing it's still too hot to be out. Nice recovery run!

DawnB said...

nice race report Phil you did good!! congratulations!!

Anne said...

You and me both, Phil. I immediately regretted my last run in Coronado after it took two days for the swelling to go down. It can be hard keeping a stubborn streak in check. Almost as hard as getting hot 'n' heavy in the desert heat.

Dusty said...

Wow, I didn't expect you to put in miles yet with that tough race and recovering from your injury. An easy run is often helpful to get the blood moving, but if you are still hurting, I'd keep it easy. Glad to have you on the road to recovery - don't go the wrong way! Kudos again for your solid race.

Sempre Libera said...

Haha, that's too funny. Reminds me of going for a run (or a walk, or to the grocery store, or...) in Santiago, Chile -- people were always making out left and right! I've never seen anything like it.

Ewen said...

The week is going well so far. Very glad it's Friday though. A rare run in the rain coming up for me this arvo, and about 12C.

Hope the shin has settled down with the ice and rest Phil.