Saturday, September 22, 2007

Take me out to the ball park

I’m up and running again. Not very fast, but I am getting out there and moving. I took my shin out for a spin on Thursday night and ran/walked 6 miles without issue. Started out real slow, walking for a minute and running for 2, just to make sure I wasn’t going to bust up the shin again by getting overly exuberant too soon. After a couple of miles of this, I extended the running portion out to 10 ten minutes and finally ran 3 miles back to my car. 6 miles isn’t all that far, but it’s the farthest I’ve been since Labor Day.

I went out for a 5 miler this morning using the same technique. I survived this outing without any residual pain in the shin. However, I’m working way too hard for the slow pace I’m maintaining. My HR is racing while my butt is dragging. I also felt like my thighs built up too much lactate acid this morning after a couple of miles and I was forced to walk … I’ve got a long way to go to get back into shape.

The bummer is that this week was my first week of marathon training in preparation for the Carlsbad Marathon in January. Let’s see how I did.

Mon: Plan – Rest; Actual – 1.7 Miles (go team)
Tue: Plan – 7.0 Miles; Actual – Rest (5.3 Miles behind)
Wed: Plan – Rest, Actual – 1.7 Miles (3.6 Miles behind)
Thr: Plan – 9.0 Miles; Actual – 6.4 Miles (6.2 Miles behind)
Fri: Plan – Rest; Actual – Rest (6.2 Miles behind)
Sat: Plan – 4.0 Miles; Actual – 5.2 Miles (5.0 Miles behind)

The plan calls for 12 miles on Sunday … I’ll be sure to pack a lunch; that might take a while

On a lighter note, I got the opportunity to hang out at the pool at the Arizona Diamondbacks’ Stadium earlier this week. As far as I know, Phoenix has the only major league baseball stadium with a swimming pool. The pool is situated on the right field wall, about 5 feet above field level. One of the parents on our soccer team sponsored our girls at the field and invited along several parents. I’m not a baseball fan, but it’s tough not to have a good time with field side seats, 18 girls and a great group of parents (plus free food)

Have a great weekend!



The "LESLIE'S" Pool at Chase Field in Phoenix

9 comments:

Jamie said...

Good news the injury is fading. I'm sure the heart rate will get back down there in due time. And if any MLB stadium should have a swimming pool, it's Phoenix! I assume they have to fill it back up daily because of evaporation? :-)

Laurie said...

I'm glad you're up and running again!

J~mom said...

Glad to see you are doing better! We all thought about you (hoping you were doing better) today on our blogger run. Maybe you can join us on the next one! There are a few pics up on our blogs (Pat, Karen and Angie).

Kate said...

Wow- that pool is cool! Hope you're doing better soon- 5 miles behind isn't too awful!

Thanks for your comment- I do love sharing tales of NZ with blogland!

Nicole said...

Glad your shin is doing well.

And the game looks like a lot of fun.

Chad in the Arizona Desert said...

Nice to hear that the shin has been quiet. The fitness will come back.

I think I have seen games in that ballpark in every spot except for the pool area. I hope it was fun.

DawnB said...

you're coming back thats great!! a pool in a ballpark, now that awesome

Josh said...

No way! That pool is awesome!

Anne said...

You've inspired me to ease back into running after an extended injury with the run/walk method. I guess, in my current condition, it'll feel like interval training. Glad to also hear the heat is dying down there. Sounds like it's just in time for some decent running...right around the corner.